Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 124651

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mystery, Inc disappear from the printed comics until 1992, when Harvey picks them up:

Archie had a brief run with them in the mid-1990s:

Great covers aside, Warner bought the rights to the Hanna-Barbera characters, and DC has published variations of Scooby and the gang steadily since 1995. These include stories set in a kind of cartoonier DCU, which has its origins in the meddling kids' encounters with Batman and Robin, back on The New Scooby Doo Movies in '72:

There's a certain resemblance visible.  Could it be that either Captain Marvel's big friend or Marmaduke are related to Scooby Doo?

We've had a load of suggestions for future themes.

Doctor Hmmm?
* Weddings and/or brides (for June)

David Warren
* The Sun (since we've already done The Moon)

Philip Portelli
* Friends Turned into Foes
* Dinosaurs
* Time Travel
* "Question Mark" covers

Jeff of Earth-J
* The color purple
* Heroes (or heroes and villains) lined up against each other
* A big burning question on the cover

Lee Houston, Junior
* Summer fun
* Justice Society of America 80th Anniversary

Responses in so far to these suggestions:
* Lee Houston, Junior: Time travel
* Richard Willis: Dinosaurs
* Steve W: Time travel or dinosaurs for June, also JSA 80th anniversary later
* Me: Questions Marks (Philip) and/or Big Burning Question (Jeff)

Any more votes?

Of the topics suggested, I like "Big Question/Question Mark" "Time Travel," "Dinosaurs," and "Self-Loading Film Projectors" generally. Obviously, "Time Travel" and "Dinos" overlap.

"Weddings" is a natural for June.

"Summer Fun" overlaps with our previous "beach" theme, but I'm all for some summer fun about now, and will be even more so once we get to the summer months (with apologies to anyone from the other hemisphere).

I’m up for anything.  Often we adjust as we go along.  By day 2 this month we seemed to have morphed “dogs” into the genus Canis by including wolves (guilty as charged), so are coyotes and jackals far behind?

My concern with “heroes (or heroes and villains) lined up against each other” is that we won’t have enough for a month.  A week, maybe. Should we consider a month with a new theme each week?  I’ve been stockpiling “heroes...” covers since they were first suggested and I have fifty, but I don’t know if there are a lot more out there.  But I’d love to see what everyone else comes up with.  We could probably fill up a week with “floating heads” covers, although that might get a bit Avengers heavy.

Simply “Heroes lined up” does open up possibilities, I guess

but I was thinking more along the lines of 

of which I have about 50

I like to nominate themes but I don't usually vote. I'll take whatever's thrown at me, and I don't usually give it too much thought until the first day of the month. I have been less-than-inspired by dog/cat themes, so maybe it's time I do vote. (I had only four or five cat covers in mind at the beginning of last month, but a few more suggested themselves along the way. Similarly, I have only a few dog-themed covers in mind, but perhaps more will occur to me. I can think of plenty of stories with dog/cats in them, but few on the covers.) 

Having said that, though, if Dave already has 50 "heroes lined up against each other" covers, that's more than enough for "A Cover a Day," so that would be my vote. Beyond that, I share a concern that there might not be enough "Question Mark" covers to last the month, but combined with a "Big Burning Question" (with or without a question mark) that should do it and would be my second choice.

Moving on to my pick for today, I choose...

"Star Comics" was a short-lived imprint of Marvel designed for juvenile readers. I was in college at the time the line was launched, and although i didn't buy any, my LCS at the time did carry them. I went to the same shop for all four years, and the owner employed one particular clerk, Terry, for most of that time. The thing I remember most about Terry was that he tried to short-change me... every single time he checked me out. If my purchase was less than $5 and I paid with a $10, he'd give me change for a $5; if I paid with a $20, he'd give me change for a $10. Every. Time.

He never fooled me, but he must have been doing the same thing to every customer. when I called him on it, he'd always smack his head and say, "Oh, yeah!" as to say, "What I silly mistake I almost made." I should have said something to the owner, but I was amused by it at the time (much more amused than I would be if a clerk tried pulling the same thing today). Anyway, the one thing I did do, after the launch of the Star Comics line, was to start calling him "Planet Terry," which caught on with the rest of the Wednesday regulars. He hated that.

Growing up, Snoopy was a big part of my early reading. I must have had dozens of those Peanuts paperbacks! I vividly remember getting toys based on "Snoopy Come Home!" I was fairly shocked that Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the gang were in comic books for decades!

Since this is Easter weekend, I'm diverging from dogs for one day. Tippy Teen was a teen humor book from Tower that was published in their double-sized format when they were publishing T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. It's odd that it doesn't say Tower on the cover.

JD DeLuzio said:

And this isn't a cover, but...

Are you sure?

The "Question Marks" might be easier if expanded to all giant punctuation covers.

Tower might not have included their logo on Tippy Teen in hopes of acquiring accidental purchasers thinking they had an Archie title.

And while I'm still trying to dig up more dog covers myself (Top Dog and Scooby Doo already got used) , I'm probably going to be off line for most of tomorrow anyway, so

HOPPY EASTER!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service