Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 123465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I have #133"

Too bad you don't have #131. I won a "No-Prize" in that issue's letters page.

Well done! What for, Jeff?

Philip Portelli said:

In the Wild West, there was no weapon feared more than...the Gatling Gun!

But it was no match for... the Batling Gun:

"Well done! What for, Jeff?"

It was a sort of "Anti-No-Prize No-Prize." At the time, Marvel was giving away No-Prizes like candy. The most egregious example was in Marvel Age, in which someone requested a No-Prize for a typographical error (one article had mentioned RON Spaceknight  instead of ROM), and the editor granted it!

The original Defenders had recently disbanded in favor of a reorganized group which called themselves the "New Defenders," which included three of the original X-Men (Angel, Beast and Iceman). In an earlier issue, they had held an organizational meeting or something. One of them (I forget which), in reviewing the qualifications of another, made a mistake. It was something like (let us say) the Angel said the Iceman was a former member of both the X-Men and the Champions.

I prefaced my letter by saying, "This is one of several letters you are likely to receive this month about Defenders #such-and-such, but mine will be different from all the others in that I will not request a No-Prize. I suggested that the Angel (let us say) was mentally reviewing his own qualifications and simply slipped up. I went on to explain that No-Prizes should be awarded for major continuity errors, not typos or slips of the tongue.

The editor said that No-Prizes are awarded for explaining why mistakes are not mistakes, that is what I did, and awarded me a No-Prize. He then went on to add that that was the first time a No-Prize had to be forced on someone. I honestly didn't set out to win one with that letter, but I'll take it.

See Marvel Age #14 for the letters page I named.

JD DeLuzio said:

it was no match for... the Batling Gun:

Okay, that's it!  We might as well close the discussion now.  It's complete, finished, over and done with.  No-one is ever going to top that "cover"!

I certainly can't.  Even Uncle Sam can't!

Peter Wrexham said:

JD DeLuzio said:

it was no match for... the Batling Gun:

Okay, that's it!  We might as well close the discussion now.  It's complete, finished, over and done with.  No-one is ever going to top that "cover"!

I certainly can't.  Even Uncle Sam can't!

All credit to Kerry Callen at this blog.

On that note, let’s shift directions a bit (I’ll save my Gatling gun cover for later).

If someone can help out with what Batman and Robin are using (catapult, mangonel, onager, trebuchet, whatever?), please do.

Hawkman across the years as hunted and hunter! 

Did they ever create a bird-hunter villain for the Winged Wonder?

Was Uncle Sam invulnerable? If not, his hand is going to "burn real good" on that machine gun barrel.

Peter Wrexham said:

Ok it's not a Gatling gun, or even a Batling gun, but it sure looks scary!

JD DeLuzio said:

By the way, have we figured out August yet?

If not, I have some thoughts, offered in the fervent hope of less pandemic:

-highways and road trips

-parties and crowds

Either of these options sounds good to me. What about both - giving us more to go at.

Highways/road trips/parties/crowds. 

I'm certainly planning some or all of them in August, given that the UK is set to relax all of the Covid19 rules on 21st June. Life might start returning to normal!

Thanks, Jeff. Nice name.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service