Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 124000

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Babs ain't taking no cr@p anymore!

Believe it or not, the "cat-ling" guns look like real modern Gatling guns (same spinning multiple barrels as the 19th Century ones). However, they are normally mounted on gunships (helicopters or modified cargo planes), not brassieres.

JD DeLuzio said:

A team-up of Jim Balent's characters. As near as I can tell, the artwork has been designed to poke discussions about the depiction of women in comics. In any case, the interior, from  #74, shows how ludicrous comic-book guns can get:

A good time to post the (in)famous Supergirl cover and its artillery piece. That's what it is, right?

And I thought this cover was phallic...

I may have used this one already, I don't remember...

Or maybe I meant to and someone beat me to it.

(Another phallic one, come to think of it.) 

If so, here's another...

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I may have used this one already, I don't remember...

Don't worry, you're good.  You have used that issue of Law Dog before, but it was last month, as a "Dog" cover.  I don't think it really counts as a re-post.

A different "Big Gun" cover from another issue of that comic.

And a "Big Gun" cover from a different "Dog" comic, Immortal Hounds.

"You have used that issue of Law Dog before, but it was last month, as a 'Dog' cover."

Oh, yeah! I remember now. I should have used it as a "transition" cover but I didn't think of it.

Here's another character whose arm is the gun.

Remember when Marvel comics tried to trademark the letter "X"? They sued Valiant over the title/character X-O Manowar alleging that it was an infringement on their "X-men" franchise. Then Steve Englehart loaned them X-Caliber, originally authorized and published by Marvel's "Epic" imprint, and the lawsuit went away. I love stories like this.

Three of a kind: Brave & Bold cannon covers!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service