Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lined up at the door:

Let’s see, a couple from Tomahawk to start with.  A gauntlet

heading to the gallows

one that fits the theme perfectly

and one that should be real

Another one at an odd angle.

The Marvel Family against their arch-foes and with their alter egos! Plus some menaces!

Here's a couple of examples of the "two opposing groups lined up" format from JLA, but with the groups facing front and back rather than left and right.

As Richard said, concerning a cover where the JLA faced a different group involving Jonah Hex:

I have trouble believing that this line-up could beat the JLA members shown.

From my selection of other sorts of lineup, here's a single group, lined up for a mug shot:

It's nearly the end of the month, so don't forget that the theme for November is the 80th anniversary of the Justice Society of America.

For December, is everyone okay if we go ahead with Jeff's "Logos involved in the action" suggestion?  This would feature covers where the logo is part of the cover scene, for example when a character is depicted destroying or otherwise interacting with the logo.  It could also be extended to covers where someone is bursting through the cover, folding the page back to show what's inside the issue, and so on.  Four of us (Jeff, me, Richard & Steve) have said that we're okay with the idea.

I've been doing a bit of research, and have found a lot of suitable covers, so I hope we are going with the idea!

I vote "yes."

I like this suggestion from Peter to expand/add to the destroyed logos. I think there are relatively few destroyed logo covers.

Peter Wrexham said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

My suggestion is cover logos that are destroyed or are somehow part of the cover composition.

I'd be up for that idea too, Jeff.  When it came up before, I suggested that we could also include cases where characters burst through the cover, or fold it back to show what's inside the issue, or similar tricks.

Bad guys lined up and surrounding the hero, who magically shoots the guns out of all their hands. He can probably do the same over his shoulders with the two behind him.

As do I!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I vote "yes."

I have see no objection, crashing through.

Also: superhero costumes lined up against superhero-lanterns:

(and that's one venomous scarecrow!)

Sounds good to me.

Philip Portelli said:

As do I!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I vote "yes."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service