Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 143610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not the logo, exactly, but I'd say it counts...

Steve W said:

We focus on a letter a day ("A" on the 1st, "B" on the 2nd, etc) and for each letter, we focus on a girl's name (maybe Anne for the 1st, Barbara for the 2nd, etc). This gives us an opportunity to post romance (or other) comic covers featuring girl's names. There are some problems with this - there are 28 days in Feb, but only 26 letters in the alphabet. We could get round this by ignoring Q, X and Z and dedicating 2 days to popular letters (B, J, and S). I agree it's complicated, but it sure would be fun! Over to you...

Well, it might work, but the details are definitely likely to need some tweaking.

The first problem I can see is that each cover will only be valid on a single day (well, unless it features multiple names - Betty and Veronica, say!).  In a normal month, if someone else picks one of "your" covers (does that ever happen??), you just use a different cover.  With this theme, you probably won't have any other covers for the same day, so you're out of the game until tomorrow, unless you make a last-minute scramble to find a replacement.

One possible change might be group the letters by week rather than by day.  Perhaps letters A-F on days 1-7, G-L on 8-14, M-R on 15-21 and S-Z on 22-28.  This would also help with the problem of "difficult" letters like Q, X and Z.

Another tweak might be to allow covers that show someone whose name begins with the correct letter even if the name isn't actually shown.  So covers showing Wonder Woman or Scarlet Witch could be allowed for D (Diana) or W (Wanda).

Any other thoughts, anyone?  Even if it's just "no, too complicated"!

Complicated rules can become the bane of a fun thread, for reasons you have outlined. It is an interesting callback to the original premise of the thread. This cover would be a good one for the second day:

Aquaman peeking out from inside the comic book

Logo rendered as graffiti on wall.

"There's no need to shout!"

"I'm not shouting! All right I am! I'm shouting! I'm SHOUTING! I'm SHOUTING!"

You're the Persuader, with an axe that can chop through almost anything.  The Legion are your arch-foes.  If you find yourself within reach of their logo, of course you're going to slice it up.

Romance covers for February are fine with me, but let's not complicate it that much. I think romance covers should include any genre of comic cover that depicts a romantic scene, not just specifically romance titles.

Another cover with the title in a word balloon.

We've seen X-Men logos destroyed; here's one from its sister title.

(And it's purple.) 

In my contribution for today, the logo survives but Batman and Robin were obviously in a REAL hurry to go fight crime that issue!

Either that or Robin (clearly behind the wheel, which would be against the law back then, right?) needs more driving lessons!

(Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

And for February, what about romance covers from titles that were NOT (normally) romance comics instead?

Or is that what Richard Willis was suggesting above?

Lee Houston, Junior said:

And for February, what about romance covers from titles that were NOT (normally) romance comics instead?

Or is that what Richard Willis was suggesting above?

I was suggesting a mix of romance comics and non-romance comics, but we should all kick it around.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service