Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 144129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Superboy #100 where Jonathan Kent dressed like Jor-El!!

By issue #41 of The Adventures of Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, the series was renamed after the sole comedian.For issue #101 (July 1967), Neal Adams began one of his earliest runs for DC, continuing the style of talented series artist Bob Oksner. His own contemporary and more realistic approach emerged in certain panels here and there, mostly in the foreshortening and the inking details. Despite the claim of some comic book guides, Oksner, not Adams, is the cover artist here.

I always thought that this was the weirdest positioning of the Kents' arm movements that I had ever seen!

It looked like they were doing some strange dance!
Philip Portelli said:

Superboy #100 where Jonathan Kent dressed like Jor-El!!

What Ma & Pa Kent do on their own time is none of our business!

(Must be difficult to get some private time with "Mister Super-Senses" around! Heck, all of Smallville must be so self-conscious!)

Here are two covers featuring my favorite JLA-JSA team-up.  JLA #37 & 38 featuring the "evil" Johnny Thunder of Earth 1.

A 2003 JSA wrap-around cover

Steve - Maybe they had to re-position Martha's arms to get Comic Code approval?

Meanwhile, Jack Kirby covers Justice, Inc.-

Better yet, he does the innards, too!

From July 1968, another classic Kirby cover.

The catalyst for me "discovering" Archie so late in life was that Josie & the Pussycats were regularly featured in Archie & Friends. I watched the cartoons when I was little and the movie is a guilty pleasure!

JERRY DRUMMER Vol 3 #12, October 1957, publisher Charlton. Cover art/inks by Maurice Whitman.

Johnny Jason, Teen Reporter (Four Color #1302)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service