Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 144130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quite pertinent to these turbulent times, here's Joe Yank #5 from March 1952, publisher Standard. Here a wild G.I. gamble hits the Korean Jackpot!  I'm even more intrigued by the second story - Joe Yank tangles with Black Market Mary!  If Joe Yank has been posted to Korea, how can he tackle Mary, who presumably is based in the good old US of A?  Cover art and inks by Arthur Saaf.

And here's Jungle Comics #163 from Summer 1954.  Publisher Fiction House, cover art and inks Maurice Whitman. Love this cover - featuring "Jackals at the Kill".

Jesse James had his own comic from 1950 to 1956 by Avon Publishing. No attempt was made not to have him be a thief and an outlaw. Were other real Old West outlaws given their own books?

Avon published a number of one-shots that told stories of historical outlaws. These were a form of crime comic. Some stories were reprinted in Skywald issues I reviewed here, so I looked into their accuracy. They seemed to be a mix of historical and unhistorical elements.

Gleason published a Western crime comic called Desperado for eight issues in 1948. Other crime comics sometimes had stories about Western criminals. Kirby drew one about Jim Miller for Headline Comics v.3 #6 (30) called "Bullet-Proof Bad Man!".

Billy the Kid starred in comics from Toby and Charlton, but both companies portrayed him as a heroic outlaw

There are a lot of comics and movies from those years that portrayed Jesse James and Billy the Kid as heroes.

I know Billy the Kid was a cop-killer twice over.

Charlton's Billy the Kid started in 1957 and was a long-running title. It's possible Marvel was imitating the Charlton title when it created the Rawhide Kid, since Charlton's Billy and Rawhide were both young outlaw heroes. Rawhide debuted in 1960, so he was the first new hero of Marvel's Silver Age.

Rawhide's black/blue costume may have been taken from the version of Billy the Kid Buster Crabbe played in a B-movie series. But the black/dark blue costume idea was also used by William Boyd playing Hopalong Cassidy.

We've had Jungle Comics from Fiction House but I don't think we've had Jumbo Comics (featuring Sheena, Jungle Queen) yet.  Here is a cover I picked fairly randomly (#116, October 1948).  How can you go wrong with Sheena fighting a mandrill (or a man wearing a mandrill costume) riding a zebra.

Second story of Jimmy as Elastic Lad, first cover appearance.

Jimmy is evidently a spectator, not taking part in the game, so why would that be out? Since the ball was caught by someone in the stands, isn't the hit a homer?

It's certainly not an out. When there is "fan interference" the umpires will rule on the hit. It could be a home run or a lesser hit. Superman would either have a home run or be on base.

I'm surprised a letter from a reader wasn't published in a subsequent issue of JO, highlighting this very issue. Silver-age readers were renowned for their abilities to spot errors in comics.

That must have been a super-gentle bunt. Otherwise, it would be interesting to see how far Olsen's arms stretched and where his hand wound up.

Richard Willis said:

Second story of Jimmy as Elastic Lad, first cover appearance.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service