Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 128075

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks very much JD DeLuzio

That's as much information about Forbush Man as it's possible to get! I'm very grateful.

And well done Richard Willis for the very festive cover! Very appropriate.

How about another - "Never Kill A Santa Claus!"

Batman has had a lot of great Christmas stories and covers!

Here's Batman #239's "Silent Night, Deadly Night!" which included a Golden Age Xmas tale!

Plus dig that green and red logo!

I bought an English-language edition some years ago for a friend for Christmas. It's a 70s-era collection of reprints so, as you surmised, the characters on the cover are the ones in the various stories, which go as far back as the Golden Age.

Richard Willis said:

"From Canada It Came"

Interesting that it has the New Look Batman along with Sandman and Sandy on the cover. I assume that the contents are Christmas stories featuring the cover characters.

Scorchy Smith by Noel Sickles

Not Brand Echh #2, Sept 1967. As well as sending up Marvel and DC characters, other stories in this issue lampooned Gold Key’s Magnus, Robot Fighter and Tower’s T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents.

NBE #4, with cover art by Marie Severin & Tom Sutton

New Gods #2. Notable because this is Darkseid's first cover appearance, even though only a floating head.

The Tick, The Naked City

The Secret of Nimh

Amazing Spider-Man #156: the Nuptials of Ned Leeds and Betty Brant! 

Hey, here's a question: How often did we see the weddings of supporting cast (non-super) members to another supporting cast (non-super) member?

And we all know how the married life affected poor ol' Ned! 

Hmm, as far as I know the closest previous example was Happy Hogun and Pepper Potts, but they eloped off scene and were written out of the cast for a few years afterwards, so the marriage of Betty & Ned, particularly as a cover story, was a first of its kind and even more unique was that Betty had been the title character's first major love interest but even though they broke up she remained part of the supporting cast, albeit no longer as prominent as she had been.  And although Ned was made out to turn into a baddie, that was several more years down the line (and a bad move by the Spider-Chroniclers, IMO).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service