Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 119920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really would like to see a TPB covering the run of Infinity Inc. I missed it all and have been intrigued by what I have seen of Jade, Huntress and Fury.

In line with earlier letters, here's a rock contribution for the letter "S". The Sex Pistols first single charted in October 1976 and in doing so, changed my understanding of what great rock sounded like forever.

All of the Silver Surfer silver-age covers were iconic, but none more so than #12, drawn by John Buscema. SS was so lithe, so curvy with his accompanying board, he was an artist's gift from heaven.

The term "Suicide Squad" has been used many times in comic folklore but this is the very first cover I can find of such a squad. Brave & Bold #25, September 1959.

Huntress wasn't in Infinity Inc for long and only one trade was produced which is a shame. I always loved the concept of super-hero offspring and legacies and this was another Roy Thomas book negatively affected by the Crisis. It also had some early Todd McFarlane art plus the always amazing Jerry Ordway. And there were some clever Roy Thomas retcons and patchworks. If you can find the back issues for a good price, I recommend the series.

Richard Willis said:

I really would like to see a TPB covering the run of Infinity Inc. I missed it all and have been intrigued by what I have seen of Jade, Huntress and Fury.

Adventure Comics #319 (Ap'64): "The Legion's Suicide Squad!"

"I really would like to see a TPB covering the run of Infinity Inc. I missed it all and have been intrigued by what I have seen of Jade, Huntress and Fury."

DC really p*sses me off sometimes. A few years ago they decided to release the "Generations Saga" (the first 12-issue arc) in a series of tpbs although it could have easily fit in a single volume. the first volume didn't sell up to expectations, apparently, because the concluding volume was never solicited.

They pulled the shame $#!t with "The JLA by George Perez." Although both volumes of that were published, it could have easily fit in a single volume.

The first issue of Showcase.

Apparently they bleeped out Superman's intro, "Several years ago my company sued Captain Marvel out of existence because he worked for another company and was a little too much like me but now my company has bought my old rival and brought him back to life and my bosses have ordered me to not make a fuss about who is really 'the world's mightiest mortal!'  Unfortunately, we can't call his comic after him because while he wasn't around some other company created their own Captain Marvel, who is an alien hanging around Earth just like me, and now they own the copyright so we have to call this mag, 'Shazam!'" 

I'm sure that might have been a bit too confusing for the kids back then.  I was already a big fan of that other guy and the Big Red Cheese wasn't really my cup of tea back then but now I can see some of the whimsical charm of the old stories.

Dave Palmer said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service