Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 134341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A 70's competitor to Mad, here's CRAZY MAGAZINE #7. October 1973. The magazine featured artwork by some of the most famous artists of the era. Cover art was by Nick Cardy, and inside were contributions from Mike Ploog, Marie Severin, Herb Trimpe, Vic Martin, Dick Wright and Bob Foster.

I never knew Crazy was published by Marvel. ("Curtis" was the distributer Marvel used for it's b&w magazines.)

This is the comic that introduced me to the Badger.

Sorry to have been AWOL for awhile (in my eponymous Forum yet), but here's my first Contribution:

It's a Conundrum I face about a Cartoon coming up tomorrow on the Cartoon Network:

Saturday's Justice League Action show (7:30 a.m. EST on Cartoon Network) is called, "Abate and Switch:"

"When the JLA tries to stop the Brothers Djinn, the ghoulish trio are able to direct spells on our heroes by saying their names, forcing the heroes to disguise themselves as each other in order to foil the spells."

This means that the episode is based on what I consider one of the best issues ever, JLA #11 (by coincidence, I'm sure, my first issue). 

But JLA Action has not been wowing the critics on my Facebook page (to put it mildly). The couple episodes I've caught have been okay, given that cartoons mostly like to hit superheroes with ray beams and smash down buildings. But maybe I caught some above-average episodes.

(The other problem was Superman's trunks-less costume, but that's another story.)

So the question is: Dare I watch it? I won't be able to unsee it if I do. But still, adapting JLA #11 requires a fairly interesting plot, right?

And no, Hoy, I'm not going to watch for the alleged incident, which didn't even happen in the comic, so there's no reason an abridged version will happen on the show. If nothing else, that was the first challenge in the issue, and this sounds like it'll focus on the second, cooler part.

Has anyone else watched it? 

-- MSA

Never even heard of it. but I'll set my DVR for Saturday morning if you will.

"So the question is: Dare I watch it?"

I say go for it. Be brave and bold.

On the one hand, episodes are only 15 minutes, so it won't take long. OTOH, 15 minutes isn't much time to do much except punch and yell, so it'll be a bare-bones adaptation. But it is darn colorful.

-- MSA

Might as well finish out Circus Boy (Four Color #813, July, 1957).

The GCD says that across the three issues there were six stories (all with Dan Spiegle art) totaling 96 pages.  Add in three covers, and a handful of filler pages (some by Spiegle, some by Sparky Moore).  That would be fun to look at.

Package it with an essay about the TV show and maybe an interview with Micky Dolenz); that might be something I'd buy (at a reasonable price).  Of course, there probably are all sorts of rights issues to sort out.

I did spend last night listening to my new CD of Monkees music (recorded in 2016, with some bits and pieces that included Davy Jones from the 1960s).

They started off with a special episode which blew out the fifteen-minute segments about the Brothers Djinn in one long episode, so I watched the entire battle already. It's OK, but I'd rather see something involving different bad guys. My DVR is recording them, but so far they're just the ones I've already seen.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Never even heard of it. but I'll set my DVR for Saturday morning if you will.

"So the question is: Dare I watch it?"

I say go for it. Be brave and bold.

Cain and Abel riding a Camel.

I couldn't find another cover featuring these Sandman characters.

From September 1947 here's COW PUNCHER COMICS #2. Published by Avon. The pencilling inside is by Joe Kubert who drew a lot of Western comics back in the 40s, but this cover doesn't look like his work.

First appearance of the Silver Age Clayface.

And slightly later, from October 1967, is CAREER GIRL ROMANCES, published by Charlton.  Comic Book Plus suggests that cover artwork is by Dick Giordano.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service