Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 124342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've seen Wanted posters for Kermit as "Muppet Robin Hood", and for Archie Andrews as "Robbing Arch".  Here's another version of the character.

This cover was used for the Australian edition of this issue.

Peter Wrexham said:

Each issue [of "Spiderhunt"] also has a variant cover, which shows an action scene with a "Wanted" poster in the background.  Collecting all those covers together is an exercise for another day!

It's another day.  I think this puts Spidey comfortably in the lead as the hero with the greatest number of appearances this month.

“Oh, this looks completely safe.  I’m in.”

It looked like New Avengers was going to focus on all the escaped super-criminals from the Raft but that didn't last long!

They had Marvel's Scarecrow in a special prison? Why? He could have gone to any old jail (unless they gave him powers of some kind).

Philip Portelli said:

It looked like New Avengers was going to focus on all the escaped super-criminals from the Raft but that didn't last long!

Got to keep separate from the crows, man! The crows!

Richard Willis said:

They had Marvel's Scarecrow in a special prison? Why? He could have gone to any old jail (unless they gave him powers of some kind).

Philip Portelli said:

As an alternative to putting a fake moustache on the poster...

On one hand, Superman is saddened by having to apprehend a crazed Lois; on the other, he suddenly gets the whole "Batman/Catwoman"" dynamic and he liked it!

The month is still young and Spider-Man does seem to be our early leader.  I looked quickly and I think Superman in various guises is second with four, and Batman and Wonder Woman are tied for third with three apiece.  Batman does appear on more than three covers so far but only three as the “wanted” person.

I had a bunch of another character(s) ready to go, actually a week’s worth, that should give us a new second place character(s).  So, purely in the interest of research, and following up on Richard Willis’s post here are six more covers with the Beagle Boys.  

As I think about it, Beagle Boys may be the second longest running title featuring a bad guy(s).  First may be Tomb of Dracula, and I’m not going to count Charlton’s Billy the Kid since that version wasn’t a villain.  Who have I missed?

Peter Wrexham said:

Peter Wrexham said:

Each issue [of "Spiderhunt"] also has a variant cover, which shows an action scene with a "Wanted" poster in the background.  Collecting all those covers together is an exercise for another day!

It's another day.  I think this puts Spidey comfortably in the lead as the hero with the greatest number of appearances this month.

I had found four Beagle Boys covers that seemed to suit the theme of the month.  Richard and Dave have posted three of them.  Here's my one remaining example.  It doesn't show an actual Wanted poster, just the process of getting the mug shots for the poster.  If folks agree that this is close enough, we now have a tie.  Spider-man and the Beagle Boys have eight covers each!  (Though you could argue that Spidey only appears on four distinct issues, thanks to the use of variant covers)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service