Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 120086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can August feature beach-related covers?

Could some month feature apes?

Did we have a suggestion for haunted houses or something like that in October or did I imagine that?

Peter Wrexham said:

We're nearing the end of May.  Here's a reminder of the cover themes for the next couple of months.

Steve W said on May 1, 2019 at 4:08pm:

I'd totally forgotten the 'boxing rings' suggestion.

So that's it - take note everyone.

June - covers featuring a boxing ring

July - covers featuring empty uniforms.

I'm totally up for that - August and covers featuring beaches.  What could be better than featuring beaches in the hottest month of the year!

I did suggest Haunted Houses back in October last year, but it was just a suggestion, and it might restrict the number of covers we can find.  I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Steve, another suggestion that you made a month or two ago was covers featuring motor bikes.  There are quite a few covers out there that would match that theme.

If you think haunted houses might be too restrictive a subject (DC published about 450 issues of House of Mystery and House of Secrets, but I don't know how many actually showed a house on the cover!) what about gravestones and/or tombs in the month leading up to Hallowe'en?

And if we fancy something less gruesome for some other month, how about weddings?

Two "Most Wanteds" from Marvel

I'm willing to bet there are a lot of interesting haunted houses, but grave suggestion would work as well.

Or, as a lead-up to Halloween, people in masks! Are there many comic covers featuring people in masks?

Peter Wrexham said:

Steve, another suggestion that you made a month or two ago was covers featuring motor bikes.  There are quite a few covers out there that would match that theme.

If you think haunted houses might be too restrictive a subject (DC published about 450 issues of House of Mystery and House of Secrets, but I don't know how many actually showed a house on the cover!) what about gravestones and/or tombs in the month leading up to Hallowe'en?

And if we fancy something less gruesome for some other month, how about weddings?

A couple for today, a wanted poster and a warning.

Another suggestion: two groups of heroes (or a group of heroes and a group of villains) lined up to fight each other.

Actually, any of Julius Schwartz's list of cover elements that sell comics books would be good: motorcycles, apes, the color purple, a big burning question, etc.

#6 in a series.

How can ONE PURPLE APE on a MOTORCYCLE save the EARTH after the JUSTICE LEAGUE FALLS???

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Another suggestion: two groups of heroes (or a group of heroes and a group of villains) lined up to fight each other.

Actually, any of Julius Schwartz's list of cover elements that sell comics books would be good: motorcycles, apes, the color purple, a big burning question, etc.

Apes! Dinosaurs! Motorcycles! The color purple! A burning question!

Interestingly, both covers of the same scene were drawn by Murphy Anderson. I checked the CPI inflation calculator at the Bureau of Labor Statistics and 10 cents in 1955 had become 14 cents by 1970, so the cover price of 15 cents is in line with inflation, but the reward for Mr. X was indeed inflated.

Peter Wrexham said:

Dave Palmer said:

A new cover for a reprint of a cover I posted earlier. Mr. X certainly has a loud jacket.  Maybe he should have gone with something a tad less noticeable if he wanted to elude capture.

The reprint was published in 1970.  As I commented a while back (concerning a super-villain with a taste for dressing in white bell-bottoms) "truly, the 1970s was the decade that taste forgot".

The original cover was published in 1955.  I notice that the reward for Mr. X rose from $10,000 to $50,000 over that period of 15 years.  I hadn't realised that inflation was quite that bad in the 1960s!

Graves/tombstones/haunted houses sounds like a safe bet for October. If everyone's comfy with that, we'll go with it.

I've been through all the covers for May (a great way to spend 25 minutes!) and couldn't see this particular one.  It's not a wanted poster but it is a poster nevertheless and it's one of my favourite covers. Joe Kubert was a brilliant artist.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service