Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 97293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just posted this in Comical Comic Cuts, but I think I'll interject it here too.

First appearance of Solomon Grundy.

Which was why he was so serious in his own series but a comedian in Avengers. Defense mechanism. Like when Nightcrawler told Cyclops he learned a long time ago he had to accept what he was or go mad. Kirby/Ayers horror comics are full of guys that couldn't deal with it and ended up falling off cliffs or getting shot into space. 

Philip Portelli said:

He repressed his feelings better but he was devastated by his own hubris until he was able to accept his new life.

Richard Willis said:

IIRC, Hank McCoy took his transformation a lot better than most people.

Today's "A" cover is from Showcase 57 featuring Enemy Ace!

Hoy

This one seems like a natural.

First appearance of Starman.

@Richard Willis

"Steve W said:

As you may know, Robert Crumb's artwork played a significant part in the most infamous obscenity trial in British history, back in 1971.

Which book/story did they go after?"

It was a lot more complicated than that. The three publishers of Oz magazine were put on trial after publishing Oz #28, "The Schoolkids Issue".   It was called that because this particular issue was edited by schoolkids, at the invitation of the publishers.  The police, however, tried to infer that it was being targeted at schoolkids, which was untrue. 

Oz had always featured edgy content, and the “Schoolkids” issue included one of Gilbert Shelton’s Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers cartoons. But what seems to have pulled in the police in this case was the “Rupert/Crumb montage.” Created by 15-year-old Vivian Berger, the comic was a mashup of Rupert Bear, a beloved British comic strip for young children which ran in a number of national newspapers, and Robert Crumb’s “Eggs Ackley Among the Vulture Demonesses.” Berger simply pasted Rupert’s head and torso into the comics so it looked like he was having sex with an unconscious woman.

A 71 day trial ensued, at the time the longest obscenity trial in British legal history. Famous counter culture stars gave evidence at the trial, and John and Yoko recorded a single to raise money for defence costs.  The defendants were found guilty of the charges and two of the publishers were sentenced to be deported (they were from Australia). The guilty verdict was reversed on appeal and one of the defendants, Felix Dennis, went on to become on of the most successful magazine publishers in the UK.

An unusual team-up "Archie Meets The Punisher"

That's brilliant!

Hoy

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service