Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 79966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's the same company that published most of the Marvel Mexico reprints. Didn't know they did original stories.

World's Finest #175, from Japan

Another Icelandic comic. The Hulk suits the holidays, since he's green and most Christmas stories are about someone transforming.

Both those Shadow covers indicate that the year's 1941.  That works fine for a comic set in the past.  There's a problem when translating a present-day series that references the year.

The original version of L.E.G.I.O.N. '89, cover-dated May 1989...

...became L.E.G.I.O.N. 91 (March 1991) in the Spanish translation...

...and L.E.G.I.O.N. & Lobo (November 1992) for the Swedish version.

Foreign covers should of course include British comics with US super-heroes featured predominantly on them.

(From Wikipedia) Following the successes of Wham! (1964) and Smash! (1966) publisher Odhams were keen to expand their line of weekly Power Comics. In January 1967 they launched Pow! with 'Spider-Man' as the lead strip, and a month later saw the arrival of a comic that consisted almost entirely of Marvel reprints: Fantastic.

Fantastic No.1, which launched on February 11, 1967, came with a pennant flag with interchangeable inserts of various superheroes. This the first of several free gifts given away with each issue, as was traditional on the launch of a new comic. Fantastic had a different format to its three predecessors, being slightly smaller in size and on better paper, it featured 40 pages and a higher cover price (9d, compared to Smash's 7d for 28 pages). This made it three times more expensive than the 3d cover price of D C Thomson's Beano and Dandy. It could not sustain a profit in the increasingly crowded market of 1960s comics, but it did gain a faithful following, and served as an introduction to many of Marvel's superhero characters.   To match its more American appearance, the contents of Fantastic were also predominantly American, starting in the first issue with reprints of Marvel's The Mighty Thor and the X-Men, as well as Iron Man stories from Tales of Suspense. The only original content featured a British superhero called Johnny Future, who started out as a prehistoric "Missing Link" (who was, in appearance, very much a Hulk-lookalike), before evolving (literally) into a superman of the future.

Fantastic ran for 89 issues (to Sept 1968) and I bought every single one of them.

Crisis on Infinite Earths #8, from Brazil

"¡Jaime es un Gigante!"

"I don't know why Jeff can't see the cover image that Steve posted. It's been uploaded to ning here (the URL is "https://st5.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3762709417?profile=original" if clicking on that link doesn't work), and I can see it with no problems."

I still can't see the cover image, the link doesn't work for me, nor does pasting the URL into my browser. However, I was able to Google El Sorprendente Hombre Arana #123 and found it that way. (Link below for anyone else who may be having trouble.) If that's the correct cover, it's a "half-swipe" from Spider-Man #73 (coincidentally my first issue).

El Sorprendente Hombre Arana #123

We’ve had the Shadow now Doc Savage (from Germany).

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I still can't see the cover image, the link doesn't work for me, nor does pasting the URL into my browser. However, I was able to Google El Sorprendente Hombre Arana #123 and found it that way. (Link below for anyone else who may be having trouble.) If that's the correct cover, it's a "half-swipe" from Spider-Man #73 (coincidentally my first issue).

Well, that's all very mysterious!  I've no explanation  for what's going on.  On a slightly related note, with a lot of your older posts, I can't see the image when it's a link to milehighcomics.com.  I'm assuming that they don't keep their cover images up in the same location permanently, so older pictures have a habit of vanishing.

The issue you found is indeed the one whose cover Steve posted.  It certainly looks as though its Spider-Man figure is a swipe from the US cover featuring Man-Mountain Marko.  I'm very impressed that you managed to identify the source from among the thousands of Spider-Man comics there are out there!  I suppose it helped that the comic had such a special significance for you.

The Batman comic below has a special significance for me, even though I first encountered it only a couple of weeks ago, and had never even heard of it before then.  Here's the Mexican translation dated April 1954.

And here's the original, cover-dated May 1953 - the month in which I was born!

I also can't see the cover when I use my iPad.  When I use a PC I can see it.  

Peter Wrexham said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Well, that's all very mysterious!  I've no explanation  for what's going on.  On a slightly related note, with a lot of your older posts, I can't see the image when it's a link to milehighcomics.com.  I'm assuming that they don't keep their cover images up in the same location permanently, so older pictures have a habit of vanishing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service