Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 94035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's the time of year for a Kiss under the mistletoe:

Action Comics #346, from Denmark. If this guy Supergirl is hitting is an Earthman pretending to be Superman his head should be flying across the room. 

Animal Man, not so much breaking the fourth wall as ignoring it completely, in this Spanish version.

The Avengers celebrate Christmas in Portugal:

I like the way that the Yugoslavian version of the Daredevil #18 cover was evidently coloured by someone who had never seen the original cover - or, indeed, any appearances of Daredevil at all!

Here's a version of Aquaman #18 from the Netherlands that shows the same problem, though to a lesser degree.

The Brazilian version took a different approach, redrawing the cover from a different angle.  Except for changing the colours of the officiant's clothes, and putting Mera in white, this got the colours pretty much correct.  Interestingly, however, it also revealed another wedding guest who didn't appear on the original cover, or in the story inside.  It looks as though Supergirl is standing behind Hawkman (who has taken off his breathing mask for this picture), though her shirt is white instead of blue!

Fantastic Four #12 and #16, both from Mexico

O Homem Aranha experiences some difficulties as Christmas approaches....

From France

It seems to me that the translator of that World's Finest cover got it wrong.  The speech bubble in the original says "fighting over me" where the translated version has "en luttant contre moi", which I reckon means "fighting against me".  From what I remember of that story, "over" is right, "against" is wrong.

Here's a French cover that avoids the problem of translation.

Here's the original cover.  I also used it yesterday as part of a post to the "Three of a Kind" discussion.

I wonder why they chose to redraw the Flash cover?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service