Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 119921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My pleasure. Darkseid was also used in 1982 as the villain in the X-Men/New Teen Titans crossover. He revived Dark Phoenix and ended up as part of the Source wall.

Mongul's pre-Crisis appearances were mostly in DC Comics Presents. (The exception was Superman Annual #11.) Len Wein says he created him. Jim Starlin drew his first appearances, and he quickly became a DC version of Thanos, Starlin's copy of Darkseid.

Dingbats of Danger Street (1975).  Jack Kirby!

Four Color 353.

Luke, thanks for all your info on Darkseid. Have been away for a couple of days and am just catching up. I never realised he'd appeared as early as 1970!

Here's DYLAN DOG #34, an Italian comic-book, from July 1989.  Art by Tiziano Sclavi.

Dylan Dog is a penniless "nightmare investigator" ("L'indagatore dell'incubo") who defies the whole preceding horror tradition with a vein of surrealism and an anti-bourgeois rhetoric.

His clothes are one of his defining characteristics: he always dresses the same way, in a red shirt, black jacket, and blue jeans; he bought twelve identical outfits after the death of his lover Lillie Connolly. Even during the worst weather, he never wears an overcoat or even carries an umbrella, since, according to him, an overcoat "would ruin his look", and he thinks that an umbrella is a "useless invention. Especially when it doesn't rain." (Wikipedia).

Detective Comics #29 (Jl'39): the third appearance of Batman as he confronts Doctor Death!

Plus how did he get through the window with his cape like that??

The second Detective Comics New Look Batman from Carmine Infantino.

The art of that Dylan Dog cover is lovely.

Edit: Sclavi created the feature, but he's a writer. The GCD says the cover artist was Claudio Villa. (It says the story was by Claudio Chiaverotti and Piero Dall'Angol. And 94 pages! Apparently a lot of Italian comics are l-o-n-g and B&W.)

Thanks for the info, Luke. Appreciated. I've read one of the Dylan Dog comics (there are English translations around) and it contained a very long and convoluted plot!

And @Richard Willis - great cover. Never realised before that Robin was only 5 feet 1 inch tall! Is it possible that all that exercise he'd done to make himself fit had stunted his growth?

A couple of Doom Patrols from me to finish off the month. I'm away till Wednesday, so will be back with covers starting with 'E'.

DP #103, May 1966, DP #104, June 1966. Cover art Bob Brown.

A genre we just don't see any more. Drag n' Wheels #41

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service