Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 90594

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JD DeLuzio said:

Hey, that could be another future cover theme: Frankenstein-type monsters.

That's a nice idea.  The only reason I can see why we might not want to use it is that we burned through a lot of covers with Frankenstein's monster last April.  That was with the theme "Green People" (even though, as you pointed out at the time, the original monster wasn't green).

Here's my latest update on the count of games seen this month.  Note that a few covers are counted under more than one heading, and some duplicated covers (either a double post, or an original and reprint) are only counted once.

• Cards - 115 (mostly just playing cards, with no specific game shown)
  • Chess - 45
  • Tarot (or similar) cards - 26
  • Checkers/Draughts - 13
  • Dice - 8
  • Roulette - 5
  • Monopoly - 2
  • Generic game - 2 (similar to Chutes/Snakes & Ladders)
  • Pool - 2
  • Scrabble - 1 (in disguised form)
  • Dominoes - 1
  • Tiddlywinks - 1
  • Skittle Pool - 1
  • Ka-Bala - 1
  • Clue(do) - 1
  • Table Tennis - 1

Which means it's Playing Cards 115, Everything Else 110.  We might even end the month with more non-card than card covers!

There have been a few graphic novel spin-offs from George R.R. Martin's "Wild Cards" shared-world anthology series.  I've found three that actually show playing cards on the cover.

Which makes the Cards total 118.

+1 Snakes and Ladders:

One of the many regrets I have about my collection is that while I have all the super-hero 100 Pagers, I'm missing most of the mystery and war ones.

Two more Micky Maus covers featuring the building of a house of cards

Richard Willis said on September 7, 2019 at 1:55am:

During "Ape" month, Richard posted this cover, but it's also appropriate for this month's theme.  In addition, there are two other cover appearances of "The Barker" in National Comics that also feature cards.

Running totals are now, I think, Playing Cards 125, Everything Else 112.  My last set of counts wasn't quite accurate, as a couple of other replies were posted at the same time, and appeared above my post. 

A Batman and a Daredevil

Checkers, again (though maybe Mandrake has an ace up his sleeve):

Not sure if this one came up already...

Surely Lana knows better than to trust Lois in a situation like this?

The DC Database tells me that the ladies are being taught yet another lesson by Superman.

Peter Wrexham said:

Surely Lana knows better than to trust Lois in a situation like this?

Another very different cover from the same year as "Lois Lane's Super-Gamble".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service