Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 132346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's true! Superman does briefly team with the Joker to save Perry White from the Prankster!

Actually Perry could probably beat the Prankster on his own!

Not surprised when I checked that this was written by Robert Kanigher. Also, less well known when this was published, they only burned witches in Europe. They hung them in what became the U.S.

JD DeLuzio said:

The issue has some bizarre history, even for the Silver Age. We've got the American Revolution happening while, meanwhile, in our postcard colonial town, we have Puritans from a century before who apparently believe in burning witches at the stake. Benjamin Franklin is hanging out in the same town, and they encounter Mad Anthony Wayne, who appears to be an ancestor of Bruce's and has a young partner named "Robyn."

Puzzled by Lois' brown hair, I did a little research. This issue was released in late 1987. The infamous Superman IV: a Quest for Peace was released in July 1987 and Margot Kidder had brown hair.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Compare to...

"Hanged" said the pedant. Pictures are hung. Murderers are hanged. Or, if they are hung, that is incidental to their crime. Alas, that distinction is almost gone from the language.

Arthur Miller did not invent the notion that the Salem "witches" were burned, but his play, The Crucible, probably did more than anything to popularize it.

Richard Willis said:

Not surprised when I checked that this was written by Robert Kanigher. Also, less well known when this was published, they only burned witches in Europe. They hung them in what became the U.S.

JD DeLuzio said:

The issue has some bizarre history, even for the Silver Age. We've got the American Revolution happening while, meanwhile, in our postcard colonial town, we have Puritans from a century before who apparently believe in burning witches at the stake. Benjamin Franklin is hanging out in the same town, and they encounter Mad Anthony Wayne, who appears to be an ancestor of Bruce's and has a young partner named "Robyn."

I wonder when we'll get to see the Cheetah's cinematic debut? I believe they're now hoping for August, but we'll see....

Yet another Brave & Bold oddity. It doesn't look like it on the cover, but Batman teams with the Riddler this time.

The New Teen Titans welcome a new member into their group.  It will be quite some time before they discover that Terra is a villain, infiltrating them as an agent for the Terminator.

Let’s see, calling yourself “Madame McEvil” (or MacEvil) doesn’t scream “I’m a good guy,” but before long she’s palling around with the Avengers.

The New Teen Titans #30 was my first issue.

I have always supected "Madame Mac Evil" was inspired by the Blood, Sweat & Tears song.

"The Moon" is the theme for June, but we don't yet have anything confirmed for later months.  Following our earlier discussions, could I suggest the following?

It's been pointed out that (for US contributors in particular), July is an appropriate month for a theme of "Flags and other patriotic symbols".  We'd exclude statues and monuments, as they have been extensively covered already, and non-US symbols would also be acceptable.

Then, for August (it being - at least in more normal years! - a holiday month for many), we could have a theme of "Foreign locations & vacations".  In this context, "Foreign" would mean "non-US".

Then, skipping September for now, there seems to be some approval for the idea of "Vampires and Werewolves" for October.

Apologies if this comes across as over-controlling.  I'd just like to have a little lead time to search for appropriate covers.

For September, how about "Giants"?

You can barely see him between Cap and the Hulk but that's the Swordsman helping the Avengers before he officially reforms in Avengers #114.

Of course, the real criminal act is Hawkeye's outfit! Yikes!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service