Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 114055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JD DeLuzio said:

*Grumbels* Hate that the Retail strip ended this year...

Dammit, yes!  I only discovered "Retail" toward the end of 2019, and was really enjoying it when it was announced that Norm Feuti was bringing it to an end.

Following on from Tintin, here's another Francophone "Aventure sur la Lune".

We all see covers we've selected posted first. It's just fun to complain about it and, yeah, some people missed the finale to Retail. Of the few daily comics I've followed online, it was probably my favorite. Like Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side, it went out rather than become another legacy strip, and Feuti is doing children's books. It's not like the kind of store where it took place was faring very well.

I like to think he'll update us on the fate of the cast some day, now that they've gone on to other things.

Hmmm... Might as well post some variant covers for Monday while I'm on. Is it the rise of Cthulhu...

or a Lovecraftian answer to Audrey 2?

The rising of the moon brings out the monsters...and that brings out Mr. Monster!

Gee, Teen Titans, what trouble can someone get into on the Moon?  Why don't we ask Captain Midnight?

And while we're asking questions, let's also ask:

• Where are that creature's legs (assuming that it has any)?
  • Who painted the lines of latitude and longitude on the Earth?
  • When did Saturn get so close to the Moon?
  • How is a prop-driven aircraft flying above the lunar surface?

(To be fair, the last point isn't actually an error - the plane is part of the logo, not part of the cover illustration)

And here's a different Captain M on the Moon, with a late entry for "Statues" month.  The Big Red Cheese is obviously getting jealous of the number of Superman statues that are to be found all over the known universe.

Peter Wrexham said:

• When did Saturn get so close to the Moon?

That's not Saturn! That's one of those strange rogue ringed planets that roved around the solar system and throughout the cosmos during the Golden and Silver ages.

I think this is our first Dark Shadows moon:

"The Man Who Stole The Moon"?  Hah - that's nothing!  I give you...

"The Man Who Turned The Moon Into A Pretzel, Then Demanded One Billion Dollars Not To Steal It"!

Peter Wrexham said:

"The Man Who Turned The Moon Into A Pretzel, Then Demanded One Billion Dollars Not To Steal It"!

Sheesh, I wish comics wouldn't always reuse the same tired old tropes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service