Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 123379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It’s going to be tough to beat the Superman Family.  First there are so many titles, and Mort liked to recycle plots.  Additionally, a number of reoccurring characters are doppelgängers:  Bizarro, Superman Emergency Squad, and the Superman/Superboy robots (I assume Supergirl had robots but I don’t recall for sure).

Here’s the Superman Emergency Squad, but not dressed as Superman.

JD DeLuzio said:

Batman has also scored fairly high in the duplicate department, though my money's still on Suplicates for the win:

Wonder Woman is also doing pretty well, even though she has historically had far fewer titles devoted to her than have Supes and Bats (who even pokes his Bat-nose into one of the WW covers below).

(Covers from 1956, 1976 and 2011).

I remember Supergirl having a Linda Lee robot that she kept in a hollow tree (no, seriously), but I don't recall that robot or any other substituting for Supergirl in her costumed identity.  That's kind of odd when you think about it.

Dave Palmer said:

It’s going to be tough to beat the Superman Family.  First there are so many titles, and Mort liked to recycle plots.  Additionally, a number of reoccurring characters are doppelgängers:  Bizarro, Superman Emergency Squad, and the Superman/Superboy robots (I assume Supergirl had robots but I don’t recall for sure).

Oh, yeah, that rings a bell.

I actually recall Supergirl showing a friend a/the Linda Lee robot to account for something. Let that sink in: her friend now knows that there's a Linda robot belonging to Supergirl and still doesn't twig into them being the same person.

If we're counting robots, then...

Not only did Mort have all of the above, he also had mirrors!

Before cable TV, I guess there was no nationally recognized interviewer. This was still an odd choice, since I think only people in the New York City area knew who he was. I sure didn't. 

JD DeLuzio said:

Batman has also scored fairly high in the duplicate department, though my money's still on Suplicates for the win:

Having never been to New York nor never having any opportunity to read the story, I thought William B. Williams was made up, although the visual design did remind me of Steve Allen (below).

Now, provided anyone else ever thought of the idea and used it in a (cover) story, there's a doppelganger for Clark Kent!

Reflections? I have a couple.

First, the Stephanie Brown Robin with the reflection of the Tim Drake Robin.

Then, Spider-Girl wearing a black costume (to show independence from her father) and the reflection showing her normal costume.

I vaguely remember a skit on TV using Steve Allen's resemblance to Clark Kent. No idea what show.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Having never been to New York nor never having any opportunity to read the story, I thought William B. Williams was made up, although the visual design did remind me of Steve Allen (below).

Now, provided anyone else ever thought of the idea and used it in a (cover) story, there's a doppelganger for Clark Kent!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service