Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 69540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Green Gorilla just wants his money because GG lost the poker game to Harvey the Rabbit and needs to pay up.

On another note, that is an excellent comic-book Big City streetcorner.

Peter Wrexham said:

JD DeLuzio said:

Green Ape!!!

You mean you see him too!?

Reply by Richard Willis 21 hours ago

Counting the number of pages doesn't really relate to the number of covers. If you look at random pages on this thread you will see that every time a page reaches 12 posts it starts a new pages. So when two or more covers are posted in a single post it counts the same as a single cover post.

Well, that presents me with a dilemma.  If I/we’re trying  to set a record, is it better to post one cover at a time or lump related covers together?  What’s the best way to “play fair” (that explains why Mr.Terrific showed up, if anyone has a picture of Mr. Terrific and an ape that would be great)?  But, on the other hand, if last month I had posted each Little Audrey cover (I did go a bit overboard) as an individual post we would have had a lot more “beaches” pages.

I’m going to post a bunch of Gibbon cover individually, what do people think about how best to post multiple covers?

Gibbons are “lesser apes.”  The Gibbon is a guy in a suit but so was Ape-Man of the Ani-Men.

I’m going to include this cover with this one.  It’s the same cover, but the way it’s been reworked it almost becomes a different cover.

And if guys in ape suits count, we can’t leave this fella out.

And, talking of men dressed as apes, what about apes dressed as men?

Here are a couple more appearances of Angel and The Ape, Angel O'Day and Sam Simeon.

The first comes from the 1991 mini-series by Phil Foglio, who is probably best known now for the Girl Genius webcomic.  If I remember rightly, this mini-series revealed Sam to be a fugitive from Gorilla City, and also featured Solovar and (as seen on this cover) Grodd.

The second - well, they team up with Scooby-Doo and the gang.

Angel O’Day and Dumb Bunny of the Inferior Five are half-sisters.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service