Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 127225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Legion in the 20th century with a confused Superboy, Batman in the 30th century and Karate Kid returning to the 20th century.

Don't you hate it when this happens...

That's the entire mini-series, but part 2's cover is especially gruesome in my mind, with the conclusion's a close second. Surprised there wasn't any outrage/negative publicity when originally released. Other than the graphic violence, it was pretty much your standard B-movie in print.

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

This reminds me of the Mars Attacks cards. I'm sure there would have been outrage if most comics weren't off the radar of news organizations.

I lost two of my covers today. Pretty sure that this Turok hasn't been posted yet.

Jor-El and his new wife were visited so many times by time traveling humans, they must have often wondered what the hell was going on...

And all I can say to this is it's a very good job that The Beatles British management team (Mainly Brian Epstein) were not as litigious as their US counterparts, or National Magazines would've found itself in court every single month in '64/65...

"[Jimmy]'s become as popular as Ringo!"

So -- not very?

Peter Wrexham said:

"[Jimmy]'s become as popular as Ringo!"

So -- not very?

At the height of their Beatlemania phase? Consider that "Beatles Bubble Bath" came only in Paul and Ringo, because they were the two most popular Beatles, at least among those fans who would be interested in bubble baths:

We've seen Hercules, Samson, and Superman together. Here's more of the same. I recall "Hercules in the Twentieth Century" among the first Superman comics I ever read, a batch my brother borrowed from a friend. Lex Luthor made a device that brought Hercules through time from odds and ends, including an old alarm clock.

Do the Time Police chase the...

While this might seem like the same time travel trip, the Thing went back in time twice for this story, then immediately got to meet Doc Savage in another timey-whimey adventure!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service