Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The original Guardians of the Galaxy, lined up

...on a purple cover. 

Here's a later version lined up against Rancor and her allies.

Justice Machine is always rushing off somewhere

The coloring of the logo on that title certainly doesn’t work

And on this cover the two sides finally met

over the years I think there have been 55 comic books that had Justice Machine in their title from 6 publishers (Noble, Comico, Texas, Innovation, Millennium, Bluewater).  So far 13 have been posted that generally fit this month’s theme and I could probably justify a few more.  They have to be the hands down winner as to percentage of covers matching the theme to total covers.

The Avengers and JLA, across numerous series, may have more covers matching the theme in total, but I can’t imagine anything approaching Justice Machine’s percentage.  I’m not going to calculate it, but I’d guess The Avengers and/or JLA may be approaching 1,000 total covers each, and certainly over 1,000 collectively.

These characters aren't rushing off anywhere, but we kind of have two opposing lines:

"Stag" is just not a word you hear too much anymore.

This cover suggests a new subset: groups of characters walking away from each other. It reminds me of some scenes from the Fantastic Four, but panels, not covers. Here's a cover of the FF, in a "line", walking away.

Mythological Melee! 

It seems a bit early in the month to be emptying my files, but I have a bunch of covers still.  I hope I don’t post any covers that others have waiting in their queues.

From Marvel, but a group we don’t typically associate with Marvel.

I posted this cover recently.  It is another example of the artist’s perfect timing in capturing the scene.  Another fraction of a second and at least two of the bad guys are going to knock themselves senseless crashing into the table Captain Marvel is strapped to.

This cover demonstrates Jack Kirby’s skill.  How can there be so many people on a cover and it not feel “crowded”?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That cover raises some questions:

-Is that a publicity photo, or did some intrepid photographer manage to stand between the FF and some adversary in the middle of a fight? Were they fighting Spider-man, and Parker managed to get off a quick shot?

-Why is Johnny walking away with his flame on?

For better or worse, funerals are also a reason for a line.

I'll post the other cover from this storyline that qualifies within another day or two unless someone else beats me to it.

(Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

I don't think we've seen this example of "two opposing groups lined up" yet.  I assume one of the groups is the Protectors.  Apart from that, I've no idea, personally, who any of them are!

"For better or worse, funerals are also a reason for a line."

And here's an example of that sort of lineup.

"Apart from that, I've no idea, personally, who any of them are!"

Your post reminded me of...

I read the Break-Thru crossover before I read any of Malibu's other "Ultraverse" titles. I liked it well enough  (and it was early enough in that universe's history) that I then went out an bought every series leading into it. It wasn't bad (and I certainly understood more of Break-Thru the second time through), but the line didn't last long beyond that point. I keep all the "Ultraverse" series in my "Miscellaneous New Universes" box. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service