Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 124651

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Bionic Woman lasted longer than The Six Million Dollar Man because NBC picked up the series after ABC cancelled it.

And I feel that the "Question Mark" should be a prominent part of the cover (and I'm giving up my first pick here...*sigh*).

Would this fellow count?

Dave Palmer said:

Good catch with Spike & Tyke.  On my informal tally it would be tied with Richie Rich and Dollar at 24 issues.  It ran from #4 to #24.  I assume the first three were Four Color issues.

Yes, The Scamp, Spike & Tyke and Deputy Dog covers I posted today were all Four Color issues.

I would think that the question mark (or exclamation mark?) would have to be there as a question or statement designed to sell the comic, not something like the Riddler's costume, as in the editor talking to the reader.. 

It's not like that many characters have question marks on their costumes. Not even the Question does!

Richard Willis said:

I would think that the question mark (or exclamation mark?) would have to be there as a question or statement designed to sell the comic, not something like the Riddler's costume, as in the editor talking to the reader.. 

I agree.  There really aren't many.  Maybe enough for a day (if even that) if we didn't go Riddler crazy. 

Right. This is supposed to be a fun thread, and I vote that a prominent question mark is a prominent question mark, personally. Perhaps we should consult the oracles.

Introducing Bulletdog

Poodle Power!

Dennis the Menace and his dog, Ruff.

Dennis the Menace and his dog Gnasher.

Hey, I'm up for that. Prominent question marks/exclamation points for July. Surely we can decide amongst ourselves what constitutes "prominent" when we get to July.  Suits me down to the ground to try and pick our future topics as far into the future as possible. Gives me more time to find appropriate covers.

And going back to dogs, have we featured a faceless one yet?

Another look at Richie Rich's dog, Dollar.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service