Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 132668

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Korak and Tarzan have encountered their share of prehistoric creatures:

We've seen his brother earlier this month, but I don't think we've seen Ivar yet...

Here are all three brothers (and friend) in a dyptich.

"Dinosaurs? Dey ain't outta time! 'Cause IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!"

Opps, sorry about that. If it’s any consolation between your post and this one two of the covers I had ready to go in my files were used, which just means I’ll have to dig deeper, I guess.

Philip Portelli said:

Great Scott, Dave! You took the Back To the Future cover that I was going to use today!

Ah, well, here are the other two: one that also has a dinosaur (plus multiple Biffs!) and one that feature my favorite of the trilogy, Back To the Future III where a time traveler gets a companion named Clara. Now where have I heard that before?

Well (in our world at least), Hercules is mythological and Samson is biblical.  I'm not entirely convinced that either of them travelled through time.  Maybe from alternate realities?  (Though I guess they would have time-travelled in their original realities).

Steve W said:

Someone must've been time travelling here... Or are these guys merely on their way to a fancy dress party?

Here's another one with a dinosaur and a time machine

Jeff of Earth-J said:

We've seen his brother earlier this month, but I don't think we've seen Ivar yet...

That cover is from the 1994/1995 series Timewalker, which ran to 16 issues.  A later series, Ivar, Timewalker, had 12 issues in 2015, for which the GCD indexes 44 variant covers!  Seven of these later issues have dinosaurs on one of their variants.  Here's a selection of them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service