Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 135226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The second appearance of Bat Lash this month: I recall this cover because it was the only Bat Lash comic I ever saw as a kid. The tropes are strong with this one:

"The second appearance of Bat Lash this month..."

Speaking of which, that tagline ("Will he save the West--or ruin it?") has been stuck in my head since the first. I'm thinking of another tagline (Will he save [something*]--or destroy it?"], but I don't know if it's to a comic book or movie or what. I thought of Star Wars #1, but I'm not sure that's it. 

*"The future," maybe...?

What am I thinking of?

Some "questionable" Legion of Super-Heroes covers from the early 80s!

Two more pre-Code from Atlas

When I first saw the thumbnail image of this cover, the foreground character (presumably The Visitor) appeared to be wearing a yellow question mark symbol.  However the larger version of the image, as shown below, revealed that I'd misread the picture.  Luckily, the cover is still eligible thanks to the big questions it poses:

Who Is The Visitor?

Why Must He Die?

Let's just ignore the unfortunate (one might even call it "questionable") appearance of the blue area inside his not-a-question-mark symbol, okay?

And talking of "questionable", here we see Green Arrow involved with "A Questionable War".

"Let's just ignore the unfortunate (questionable?) appearance of the blue area inside his not-a-question-mark symbol, okay?"

Ew. Can't un-see that.

Yeah, that Visitor cover is right up (down?) there with the Dell comics Western cover that shows a photo of Chuck Connors and a kid holding a log in an unfortunate position, or the DC cover of Supergirl throwing a mangled cannon.

• Concerning the topic for August, which I had noted down as "Highways and/or Road Trips", Jeff said "I thought it was any communal activity...?", and Richard suggested "I wonder if Road Trips should be expanded to include holidays/vacations and maybe picnics?  Communal Activity would cover those."

I have several "Highways" covers lined up that show an empty highway, or just a single person, and so don't really fit with "Communal Activity".  Maybe we could accommodate us all by making the topic "Highways or Road Trips and other Communal Activities" (perhaps a bit long-winded)?  Or "Highways and/or Communal Activities" (road trips considered a communal activity)?  Or "Highways and Travel"?  Or...?

• Concerning the still-undecided October, Jeff said "If we do "heroes/villains (or heroes/heroes) lined up against each other" and/or "the color purple," I'll shut up about it. (That ought to be worth something.)"

I'm not terribly enthused by the idea of a month of purple covers.  However, I think Jeff's unflagging devotion to the idea of hero/villain lineups should be rewarded.  Some people have worried that there might not be enough covers to last the month.  As a way of dealing with that problem, I suggest that we might make the theme simply "Lineups".  This would include teams lined up against each other as per the Julius Schwartz cover theme, but also characters lined up to race, or as a firing squad, or to join a team, or facing trial, or...

Forgive me for going on about this, but I'd rather not have the matter still undecided when the relevant month rolls round.

August: I like the "Highways and Travel" adjustment. I think this should include travel by other means in addition to road trips.

September: I'm warming up to the "Favo(u)rite Covers" theme. Several are already occurring to me.

October: I like Peter's suggestion of "make the theme simply 'Lineups'. This would include teams lined up against each other as per the Julius Schwartz cover theme, but also characters lined up to race, or as a firing squad, or to join a team, or facing trial, or..." Maybe it should require at least three or four lined up, unless it's a one-on-one race..

A the person who suggested Road Trips, Highways and Travel works for me.

There will be no violations of the penal code while the Visitor is on the job!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service