Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The early 70s saw Tomahawk converted to Son of Tomahawk for its last ten issues. After getting one, I started picking it up whenever I spotted it at my LCS, convention or yard sale. After getting a few doubles, I finally completed my set with fine artwork by Joe Kubert, Frank Thorne and John Severin.

Also, don't mess with Old Tomahawk!

Here's another favourite comic from my "buy anything with the Legion" phase.

The first appearance of the Reverse Flash.

In addition to mysterious ringed planets in the sky, future/alien worlds in SF often feature unsupported roads that go to the tops of very tall buildings.

Also, as Jeff has no doubt noticed, purple skies!.

Purple!

JD DeLuzio said:

One of the earliest Marvels I read. Clearly, this was a different world from Batman and Superman's.

The cover features some impressive hero-fight posing:

Another Thing battle against a black background.

I think you could add the following to your list

Bomba the Jungle Boy (7 issues)

Brother Power The Geek (2 issues)

Stanley and his Monster (4 issues-a continuation of The Fox and Crow)

The Spectre (10 issues)

Also, interestingly, within your time span Deadman ended in Strange Adventures and the Legion was booted out of Adventure.

Richard Willis said:

The Hawk and the Dove, along with several other books, was “pruned” from DC’s lineup in this time period (late ’68 to mid ’69). There was no such thing as a planned miniseries back then.

Anthro (6 issues)

Angel and the Ape (6 or 7*)

Atom and Hawkman were combined into a single book, which was cancelled in mid-1969..

Bat Lash (7)

Beware the Creeper (6)

Captain Action (5)

Hawk and the Dove (6)

Secret Six (7)

*they started to deemphasize the Ape. Issue 7 didn’t have the words “and the Ape” on the cover.

The first and best of Marvel's two Kiss comics poses a puzzle with its wraparound cover. Actual Kiss blood? Great promo gimmick. The band is on the cover: makes sense. Dr. Doom is on the back-- he's the feature villain of the story. But what's going on in-between? Sure, the Rock 'n' Masquerade band go on some cosmic adventures, but those mythic comic-book gods don't appear anywhere in the story. Marvel artists often had a fair bit of freedom, and this touch has always intrigued me.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

Not being familiar with the concept at the time, I didn't get the tell tale clue on the cover about where the story took place but I do remember the media sensation the event made when the news broke that Superman and Lois were due to (finally) get married.

Imagine the potential confusion when infinite Earths were thrown into the mix.

Back in 1966, so many new superheroes to learn about

I loved this crossover between Marvel Team Up and Marvel Two-In-One! The funny thing (HA!) was they switched artists with Sal Buscema drawing MTIO and Ron Wilson MTU. Also Spidey's time-trip of MTU #41-46 actually ended in MTIO #17.

This was a strong period of MTU and MTIO was about to get better as well! Wish they did this again!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service