Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138462

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like Dave Palmer, I was a Doctor Spektor reader. I have nearly the entire series in my collection. Glut tried to give him an inclusive supporting cast, though the depictions could be problematic, leaning as they often did into stereotype. I really like the way the series worked in other, forgotten characters. Anyway, here's another dramatic TOFODS cover:

I always enjoyed the Challengers of the Unknown.  In 1968 their stories shifted from monsters and super villains to more of a focus on “mystery,” such as the occult and the supernatural within the confines of the Code.  This revival of “mystery” brought us characters such as Deadman, Phantom Stranger, and Swamp Thing.  Challs #63 is dated August-September 1968.  House Mystery #173 was dated March-April 1968 and was the last appearance of Dial H for Hero and Martian Manhunter.  #174 (May-June 1968) was the first “mystery” issue.

Despite not getting any of Marvel's Martial Arts books beyond an issue or two secondhand, I really enjoyed Master of Kung Fu Annual #1where Shang-Chi meets Iron Fist. Looking back, it's certainly not representative of his series! 

I had a few issues of Power Man but didn't get it regularly until it became Power Man/Iron Fist. But again I thought that Power Man Annual #1 was a great book!

The year after Stalker and Claw first appeared, DC tried a variation on the swords-and-sorcery formula with Starfire #1 (cover-dated September 1976).  This was billed as "A New Epic of Swords and Science", and also caught my interest.

The series ran to eight issues, and I collected the lot.  Sadly, I don't think the character has ever been revived, though you may recognise the name from somewhere else.

When I was 10 I was a mad, obsessed Adam Strange fan. So much so, that I almost managed to persuade my mom to adopt 'Adam' as my middle name. I would ignore her unless she called me Adam.  Years later, when the internet was born, I occasionally needed to adopt a pseudonym, and whenever that was required I was always 'Adam Strange'. In fact if you ever visit Yahoo Answers, you'll still see a profile for the aformentioned Mr Strange. And all because of this guy and (mainly) these 2 comics.

In 1966 the Challengers and the Doom Patrol guested in each other's titles. It wasn't technically a two-parter. The Doom Patrol issue came out the following month and involved defeating bad guys that were related to the ones fought in the Challengers issue.

Okay.... this is not an historical "favorite cover," but I did come across it after I began riffing on Jeff of Earth-J's "favorite character" (according to a jerky college roommate he once had). I have to say, it's a well-executed cartoon cover that demonstrates the relationship between Baby Huey and Papa while illustrating quite nicely one of the two or three jokes that kept the comic going for so many years:

My first exposure to the X-Men.

When I started reading comics, as I have said before, I got a lot more Marvel Triple Action than I did The Avengers, that I sometimes still think of Cap's Kooky Quartet as "my" Avengers!

(and yes, I still yearn for a rematch with the Triumvirate, which I had to look up, of Terror!)

The two Hawkman covers featuring the Shadow-Thief are pretty cool

One subject that I believe has yet to come up is gimmick covers. Thankfully the fad has come and gone for the most part. The holographic backgrounds on thicker paper (I saw a first issue copy of Warlock and the Infinity Watch where said background faded out about halfway down, revealing plain white cardstock), the glued purple diamond that usually broke off (Eclipso, the Darkness Within Annual), etc.

But there were some nice ones too. Like the Wedding Album Special cover for when Superman/Clark Kent FINALLY married Lois Lane "for real", and the second and third Robin mini-series from the early 1990s.

The third mini was the most ambitious, with those bagged movable covers that also doubled the price ($2.50 instead of $1.25) for each issue of Cry of the Huntress.

The second mini, The Joker's Wild, featured a more practical gimmick. A holographic sticker in a strategic spot as part of the overall image. Of course it only raised the cover price of each issue by an extra quarter. Important when you're working for a living and every penny counts, no matter what era you're in.

The moving picture isn't really that distinct in a still image and I like Jim Aparo's art, hence my choice of covers to represent Robin II. I can post the rest if anyone's interested.

We still have some gimmicks, like multiple cover choices to anniversary and other issues, but I wish the publishers would print a cover gallery within each issue of what's available like IDW used to. Or are they still doing that? It's been a while since I read anything from them.

(Images courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

Not someone I'd mess with

The coloring really enhances this image.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service