Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 138800

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave Palmer said:

I find #96 amusing in that there is a topless woman on a Code approved comic, and one from Archie to boot. (See also Kamandi #6.)

Both the Madhouse #96 and Kamandi #6 have strategically placed long hair over the breasts. As for Archie, they were running most of the Code for a long time. Even though their cove is sexier, I don't think they would have rejected their cover.

How could I forget. Gray Morrow is one of the co-creators of Man-Thing (Savage Tales #1). Here is a cover he did.

Apparently I forgot, too. The cover you posted, Adventure into Fear #10, reminds me how much I like his style.

This series, everywhere for a time thanks to it being given away by police forces and schools in Canada, 1990, features one of the best covers for a PSA comic and one of the worst. Todd MacFarlane did the cover for Part One, which takes Spidey to Winnipeg as he tracks smuggled drugs. Expect kids who need to be educated and a guest-appearance by hockey old-timer Herb Carnegie:

In Part Two, he follows the trail to Fredericton. That issue features one of the most visually incoherent covers in comic history, drawn by someone who is not Todd MacFarlane:

Lady Blackhawk (and a purple sky).  

Would someone remind me what our theme is for October— time to see if a transition cover is possible.

Sure - from Peter at the beginning of this month...

October's "Lineups" theme includes Jeff's original suggestion of "Two groups of hero or villains lined up against each other", but also characters lined up for other reasons.  For example, they might be lined up to race, or as a firing squad, or on trial, or to join a team, or...etc.

Great.  Thanks.  We've been batting that one around for a while.  It should be fun.

A nice purple Spidey vs. Wolvie.

There's not a hint of purple in this one, but considering I'm still single and have always been pro-super heroine...

(Image courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.)

Hmm... reminds me of...

This was probably my first Defenders and what a mismatched bunch of characters!

A Monster who the entire world is afraid of, the Sorcerer Supreme, a B-list Hawkman wannabe who started as a C-list Batman wannabe and the gritty, urban Hero For Hire! Sweet Christmas!

It's the 27th of September and it's taken this long to get to my first Kirby cover.  And what a cover - the unearthly depiction of a mutant who is able to absorb and mimic the powers of everyone around him - this comic practically jumped into my hands when I first picked it up. Wonderful cover, wonderful story.

Same year, same brand, different artist. This is Artie Simek at his very best. 

A nice Steve Ditko cover. The only issue of Mysterious Suspense and the only time Charlton gave The Question an entire issue.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service