Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 94107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More mid-control!

Talk about being prescient!

JD DeLuzio said:

I only have a few more that fit the theme for this month.

And then there's this one.

But you have to have a sense of historical irony.

Elongated Man (hero), Connie Noleski (would-be hero), Pied Piper and Chunk (reformed villains) working together to try and find a missing Flash (Wally West).

It would be great if it were, but it's actually of recent vintage.

Richard Willis said:

Talk about being prescient!

JD DeLuzio said:

I only have a few more that fit the theme for this month.

And then there's this one.

But you have to have a sense of historical irony.

At first I couldn't see the cover posted. I noticed a message in red tet near the top of my browser that said "failure to load content......" I Refreshed/Reloaded the page and then I could see it.

Peter Wrexham said:

Elongated Man (hero), Connie Noleski (would-be hero), Pied Piper and Chunk (reformed villains) working together to try and find a missing Flash (Wally West).

These aren't quite comics: one is an illustrated children's book and the other is a comic-cover-looking theatre poster:

Only seven more shopping months until Christmas!

The X-Men are a treasure trove of characters that started as adversaries then ended up as allies or even joining the X-Men

The original "Snapper Carr...Super-Traitor!" and its modern retelling. But Snapper thought he was helping "John Dough" not the Joker! 

Philip Portelli said:

The original "Snapper Carr...Super-Traitor!"

"Of course, given that I'm standing a short distance from some of the most powerful people on earth, announcing my betrayal of them maniacally whilst I remove my mask is quite possibly the least intelligent thing I could do! Ah ha ha!"

And would anyone guess that was Snapper to begin with?

JD DeLuzio said:

Philip Portelli said:

The original "Snapper Carr...Super-Traitor!"

"Of course, given that I'm standing a short distance from some of the most powerful people on earth, announcing my betrayal of them maniacally whilst I remove my mask is quite possibly the least intelligent thing I could do! Ah ha ha!"

While we're considering cover scenes that just don't seem to make sense (why stand with your feet an uncomfortable distance apart, and your back towards the JLA as you announce your betrayal?), how about this one?

Unless Lex has super-speed in this imaginary story, there's no way he will have finished getting dressed in Clark's clothes before Lois enters the room.  And even if he does, what are the odds that Lois will fail to notice that the person in Clark's suit is a) bald, and b) not Clark?  It must be the effect of putting on the glasses.

(In fact, as far as I can recall, this scene never actually takes place in the story.  The nearest we get is Lex imagining what he might do to help his brother at some time in the future.  And when a letter-writer in a subsequent issue mentioned the problem of Lex being bald, the editor joked that he would have to "keep it under his hat".)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service