Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Views: 127128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've never heard of "Elf with a gun", but I like the concept.  It set me wondering whether I could find a cover showing a traditional fantasy elf wielding an unfeasibly large gun.  I had in mind something like Legolas with a bazooka.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that this sort of cover does exist, but I couldn't find one.  However, I did find this cover showing what I assume are elf-hunters with a tank, which is almost as good!

While we're talking of tanks, here are two more Tank Girl covers showing our heroine with her unfeasibly large guns.

"I've never heard of "Elf with a gun", but I like the concept."

It arose from Steve Gerber's Defenders run. A running sub-plot was that, every couple of issues or so, an elf with a gun would show up and shoot people at random. Before he got the chance to explain what was going on (I'm not sure even Gerber himself knew), he left the title, leaving it for the next writer (David Anthony Kraft, I think) to finish off, which he did, but not in a very satisfactory manner. The cover I posted was J.M. DeMatteis' shot at making sense of it all. 

Thanks, because I didn't know about that one. My reading of The Defenders pretty much ends with the 70s (though I have #133, because of the sorta Northrop Frye guest-appearance). That said (Trigger warning: pedantic gatekeepersque fannish commentary follows), #46 ends the Elf with a Gun story. So THE Elf with a Gun never made a cover appearance. AN Elf with a Gun, identified as Relf, nephew to the original, made several subsequent appearances, including this excellent cover appearance you have posted.

Of course, my head-canon struggles with subsequent gun-toting elves or the motivation given to them. Gerber never intended (if Gerber intended anything) his Elf to be anything more than a representation of chaos and the randomness of the universe. You cannot predict when unexplained or disconnected events will interfere with your life.

Like, you know, being shot for no apparent reason by some Elf with a Gun.

YMMV which, I suppose, is part of the point.

(I'm a huge fan of the late Steve Gerber, and possess two autographed issues of Howard the Duck. This of course does not make my commentary more valuable than anyone else's here).

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"When I walked into the shop and saw it back in '94, I bought the other cover"

Actually, I bought the other cover, too. (I just couldn't find an image of it to post.)

Here's where I return the favor.

"Here's a bonus image of a guy who should be in any gun-related comic thread, even if he never (to my knowledge) appeared on a cover:"

The EWAG (Elf with a Gun) did appear on a cover.

"I have #133"

Too bad you don't have #131. I won a "No-Prize" in that issue's letters page.

Excellent! When the comic shops re-open yet again locally, I may have to search that one out.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I have #133"

Too bad you don't have #131. I won a "No-Prize" in that issue's letters page.

In the Wild West, there was no weapon feared more than...the Gatling Gun!

Another Gunmaster

For Mothers' Day yesterday, I tried looking for either Ma Barker or Ma Beagle.

While I could find several covers for each (True Crime style for Barker, Disneys for Beagle) none depicted either lady with a weapon, unless you count a handbag to whack her disobedient sons with for Beagle.

HOWEVER...

I did come across this little gem, courtesy of Google Images.

Ha! I misread that as "to whack her disobedient sons with a Beagle." That seems unduly harsh to the beagle.

(Unless it's the HMS)

By the way, have we figured out August yet?

If not, I have some thoughts, offered in the fervent hope of less pandemic:

-highways and road trips

-parties and crowds

In the past I’ve been a wet blanket when it comes to covers of two groups charging at each other.

I fret that there aren’t enough covers for a month, although we always improvise on the fly, but they might be a nifty subset for parties and crowds.

JD DeLuzio said:

By the way, have we figured out August yet?

If not, I have some thoughts, offered in the fervent hope of less pandemic:

-highways and road trips

-parties and crowds

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service