Had an unexpected day off, so I plunged into several Marvel cartoons someone gave me on VHS, including 1960's Cap and Sub-Mariner, 1966 Spider-Man, 1981 Spider-Man (the solo, not Amazing Friends), 1982 Hulk, RoboCop (huh?) and even the 1996 version of Spidey.

Best completely wasted day ever.

I still think the best Marvel cartoon of all time was the 2008 Spider-Man take, but what are your favorites?

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not only does Iceman look completely ridiculous running like that, he also got the worst voice of any character in the entire show. Sure doesn't sound 16. Was that an attempt to actually animate their series? And why the Alliance of Peace? What was the deal they could use the X-Men but not their name? And why try to make a Fantastic Four cartoon when you can't use them? (Hanna Barbera tried the same thing with a blue skinned Sub-Mariner in their FF show. Didn't work there either.) I know they didn't have very many Namor stories at the time to choose adapt, but why didn't they drag out a couple of old Timely or Atlas stories? They couldn't look any more outdated than Iron Man Mark I painted red and yellow. Jack and Gene were great artists but it would have been an interesting change of pace to see a Bill Everett Namor episode.

I forget the name of it but there was an Avengers cartoon on youtube showing the founders looking really weird. They start morphing into other art styles for some reason, at one point turning into the Gantray-Lawrence version. One hero, sounding a bit like Butthead says "Wow, what was our budget, a dollar?"  Anybody else want Natasha to sound Russian in animation? "Dah, we get moose and squrrel?"

And now the Guardians of the Galaxy had to change their name because a newer "hipper" team stole theirs.

At least they didn't decide to call them the Avengers of the Galaxy.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Well when they dropped A:EMH for the movie crowd they might as well have put a big sign saying "Marketing Rules, we don't care if you like it, you'll like the next one, stop complaining and go away, you bother us you silly pathetic fanboys."

Actually pathetic fanboys probably didn't even enter their thoughts.  That is such a niche portion of the audience, why should they care?

That's okay, I didn't want to watch their show anyway.

Speaking of the 1966 Marvel Superheroes show, someone is selling a near complete (179 out of 195) set of the film reels, supposedly from the estate of the production assistant for  $4,500 dollars. 43 watching but no bids. 11 reels unlabeled so they might be from something else. Free shipping.

Ebay lists the Silver Age as 1956-1969.

...Since someone wondered , the as-'66-shown  MSH series featured:

Mighty Thor

Iron Man

Cap

Sub-Mariner

Green skin .

Since I acdientally posted above , I made up for that here instead of referencing Wikipedia !

Who did the individdle characters, them3s for MSH ? How many singers did they use for that massed sound ?

" He's a cool exec with a heart of steel,,," All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield..."

I've read Marvel was promised that professional songwriters would write the songs for the show, but they were so underpaid that they didn't put much effort into them. "Belted by gamma rays...ain't he unglamorous."
Part of Iron Man's song was Tony Stark's ringtone in the movies.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service