In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 1172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And of course, Reed and Ben can't be World War Two vets, anymore.

They kind of have to be, really, although I like the idea of Nick Fury as an old master spy in his 90's that everybody's still terrified of, because he knows their secrets, and their parents', and their grandparents', and their great-grandparents'....

ClarkKent_DC said:

The Baron said:

It just occurred to me that when Captain America was  originally thawed out back in 1964, he would have only been "on ice" for about 19 years.  That's a long time, but the odds are, most of the people he knew in '45 would still be alive 19 years later.  Oh, a few would have died, but most of them would still be around. Most of the people I knew 19 years are still around, except for a few older relatives, and one person  who had a mishap.  It'd be a hell of an adjustment, but you could at least see some familiar faces.

On the other hand, the Cap of today, assuming he was thawed out the proverbial "ten years ago", then he would have been thawed out in 2009, and been "on ice" for 64 years.  That's an insanely larger adjustment - pretty much everyone he'd known would be dead, even little kids would be elderly now.  That could put a guy on the edge.

That's why I started thinking that Sgt. Fury of the Howling Commandos and Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. are two different people, even before Nick Fury started to resemble Samuel L. Jackson. 

The current Invaders series seems to have split up the time Namor was amnesiac with him regaining his mind with the help of Professor X only to lose it again by the "time" of Fantastic Four #4.

As for Cap, wouldn't being able to survive being frozen for decades count as a super-power? 

And the time scale saw Sharon Carter go from Peggy Carter's much younger sister to her niece to her granddaughter!

“I started thinking that Sgt. Fury of the Howling Commandos and Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. are two different people…”

I don’t have a problem with that.

“I like the idea of Nick Fury as an old master spy in his 90's…”

That’s a pretty cool idea. But didn’t Original Sin turn Nick fury into the new “Watcher”? Or has that been undone already?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That’s a pretty cool idea. But didn’t Original Sin turn Nick fury into the new “Watcher”? Or has that been undone already?

On Earth ClarkKent_DC, that never happened.

What about the whole "Dum Dum has been a LMD since the late 60s" thing?

ClarkKent_DC said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I'm comfortable hand-waving Cap's greater adjustment away (even the 1960s showed him as being lost so it's not that much a change) but Namor's long time amnesiac makes me boggle.

From what I've seen of the various fill-in adventures that now take place between the end of the Golden Age and the FF's first flight, it's still canon Namor's wandering around the Bowery and the New York Docks from the early 1950s to FF #4. A couple of stories (Lost Generation, for instance) allude to the mysterious super-strong derelict as an urban legend.

Marvel's really adding up the number of WW II immortals (or quasi-immortals) now: Fury, Black Widow, Namor and by implication his cousin Byrrah. Plus Dum-Dum and Gabe (I'm not counting people like Bloodstone or Wolverine whose immortality wasn't meant to retcon this stuff away).

And nothing can really fix it because the sliding timeline keeps on sliding and the gap keeps getting bigger and bigger. 

Fraser

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That's one of the issues I hope to see History of the Marvel Universe resolve: Just how long was Captain America "on ice"?

Another: Just how long did Sub-Mariner spend wandering amnesiac? (He's got to be pushing 100 now.)

Another annoying timeline problem is that in the current MU, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby couldn't possibly have worked on the FF's authorized comic book. They'd have been writing about the First Line or the Blue Marvel and who knows, maybe Rob Liefeld got handed the FF assignment in the 21st century.

Fraser

Philip Portelli said:

And the time scale saw Sharon Carter go from Peggy Carter's much younger sister to her niece to her granddaughter!

If she's Peggy's granddaughter, could Cap have been dating his granddaughter? (I'm sorry. My mind had to go there.) 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

That’s a pretty cool idea. But didn’t Original Sin turn Nick fury into the new “Watcher”? Or has that been undone already?

ClarkKent_DC said:

Philip Portelli said:

What about the whole "Dum Dum has been a LMD since the late 60s" thing?

Never happened either. On Earth ClarkKent_DC, the Dum Dum Dugan of the Howling Commandos is not the same Dum Dum Dugan in modern times. And the rest of the Howling Commandos aged naturally and died accordingly.

Wolverine's healing factor fits nicely with his being immortal. His cells are repaired all the time, so his cells can't die. I haven't read the Old Man Logan books, so I don't know how this fits together.

I'm guessing that's why she wasn't in Endgame.

Richard Willis said:

Philip Portelli said:

If she's Peggy's granddaughter, could Cap have been dating his granddaughter? (I'm sorry. My mind had to go there.) 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service