In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

 

Views: 3402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dunno, but it's an interesting idea.

Randy Jackson said:

I don't know if this is necessarily the right thread for this, but has there ever been an attempt to portray Night Girl as a vampire? Given her powers only work in the dark that would kind of make sense and perhaps an interesting story--ideally non-canon. 

Some of us were discussing this cover elsewhere, and it prompted two questions on my part:

1)Were there really a lot of people requesting this specific team-up?

2)The next twelve issues of  Daredevil were all about Matt Murdock's recovery from the shattered bones he received when the Man-Thing bashed him against Ben's side like that, right?

I'm sure if anyone brought it up in a letter we'd have an explanation like "DD could feel himself moving toward Ben so he angled himself and bounced off with nothing more than bruises." Much as Spider-Man once hitting Captain Britain in the head with a girder was explained as using just the right angle to do nothing but knock Brian cold.

The Baron said:

Some of us were discussing this cover elsewhere, and it prompted two questions on my part:

1)Were there really a lot of people requesting this specific team-up?

2)The next twelve issues of  Daredevil were all about Matt Murdock's recovery from the shattered bones he received when the Man-Thing bashed him against Ben's side like that, right?

There was an issue of Daredevil when he took on the Hulk, with the next issue showing him laid up I. The hospital. 

I think the "because you demanded it" blurb usually meant that the guest stars were intended to increase the sales of Man-Thing or, in some cases, to increase the sales of the guest star's book. I'd be surprised if an actual reader demanded it.

Daredevil has no business taking on the Hulk.  That's not being a hero, that's being dumb.

Randy Jackson said:

There was an issue of Daredevil when he took on the Hulk, with the next issue showing him laid up I. The hospital. 

It's quite possible that one individual reader asked for Shang-Chi, one for Daredevil, etc. So technically all four guest-stars are reader-demanded, just not combined as the Anti-Man Thing Gang.

Richard Willis said:

I think the "because you demanded it" blurb usually meant that the guest stars were intended to increase the sales of Man-Thing or, in some cases, to increase the sales of the guest star's book. I'd be surprised if an actual reader demanded it.

"Daredevil has no business taking on the Hulk."

Cool cover, though.

Depends on the circumstance. He was pitching out of his weight class when he went up against Namor in an early issue, but it worked.

The Baron said:

Daredevil has no business taking on the Hulk.  That's not being a hero, that's being dumb.

Randy Jackson said:

There was an issue of Daredevil when he took on the Hulk, with the next issue showing him laid up I. The hospital. 

I'm sure you're right, but it amuses me to imagine them getting tons of letters demanding this specific team-up.

Fraser Sherman said:

It's quite possible that one individual reader asked for Shang-Chi, one for Daredevil, etc. So technically all four guest-stars are reader-demanded, just not combined as the Anti-Man Thing Gang.

Richard Willis said:

I think the "because you demanded it" blurb usually meant that the guest stars were intended to increase the sales of Man-Thing or, in some cases, to increase the sales of the guest star's book. I'd be surprised if an actual reader demanded it.

The Baron said:

Daredevil has no business taking on the Hulk.  That's not being a hero, that's being dumb.

Fraser Sherman said:

Depends on the circumstance. He was pitching out of his weight class when he went up against Namor in an early issue, but it worked.

Randy Jackson said:

There was an issue of Daredevil when he took on the Hulk, with the next issue showing him laid up I. The hospital. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Daredevil has no business taking on the Hulk."

Cool cover, though.

A cover that MADE me buy the comic. As I said over here (in the thread "Covers That MADE You Buy the Comic"): "When you see this image, you can only think: How dead and mangled is Daredevil going to be when this match is over?"

"A cover that MADE me buy the comic."

Me, too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
2 hours ago
Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"I'm terribly sorry for your family's loss, Commander. I wish you all the best."
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Over the extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend, the adults (three couples) usually…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Does anyone have James Bond DVDs or Blu-rays?
"A good James Bond trivia question is "What is the only movie in which James Bond sings"?…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Words fail me, my friend. Please accept my and Tracy's deepest and most sincere condolences,…"
8 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"@Peter - I have the same problem; 8 covers left and only 4 days to go. So, 2 a day from me till…"
11 hours ago
The Baron replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"My condolences to you and Cheryl, and Rick's other family and friends, sir."
11 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I have never had a son or an actual brother, but you, your son and all veterans are my…"
12 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I don't think anyone has posted this one. It was my introduction to Strangers in Paradise and…"
13 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"A wonderfully eloquent epitaph. My deepest condolences to you, Commander, and to Cheryl."
13 hours ago
Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Such heartbreaking news! I am sorry for the family's grief. But you wrote about it beautifully…"
15 hours ago
Eric L. Sofer replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 240 An Empty Chair
"Commander, I hope that the sorrow passes quickly, to be replaced by the love and honor and warm…"
15 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service