In the recent Joker/Daffy Duck comic (Side Note: The latest batch of DC/WB crossovers are neither especially good or especially bad), there's a scene in which the Joker kills the patrons of a comedy club and has his gang take their stuff (Another Side Note: Who in the Blue Hell would go to a comedy club in Gotham City? That's just asking for trouble!), and this scene inspired in me a sudden realization.

Now, I'll say up front that I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this realization (or the tenth, or the hundredth, or the thousandth...), it's just something that I never really thought about all that much before.

Anyway, the great realization was this:  

There's no (expletive gerund omitted) way that someone wouldn't have killed the Joker by now.  Victim's grieving relative, vigilante, fed-up cop, "accident in the cells", a villain who's sick of the Joker's crap - someone would have wasted him by now.   I can no longer sustain my suspension of disbelief as regards this character.

Views: 2410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

January 20, 2009, was over twelve years ago. Still kinda dated for a supposedly young superhero.

Fraser Sherman said:

And someday Spider-Man attending Obama's inauguration will look as dated.

Captain America's entry in the most recent OHOTMU has him born in 1922, thus next year he will be 100 years old. If he was frozen in 1945 and has been around in present time for, let's say, 10 years then he's spent 65 YEARS in suspended animation!

Prince Namor turns 100 years old (in continuity) this year. 

In Avengers #4 he's represented as a man from a different era. Yet the war had been over less than 19 years, and Lee and Kirby had served in it themselves. I've seen it suggested that it was a response to the murder of Kennedy, and I think that likely right.

I like to imagine Alpha Flight meeting Captain Canada, the living legend of the war of 1812.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service