Live in Front of a Studio Audience

Next Wednesday ABC will present two classic episodes of "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" on live television. The casts will be new, but not a word of the scripts will be changed in order to show how these same topics are still relevant decades later.

LINK

I'm really looking forward to this.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wow, thanks for letting us know! I'm definitely going to watch that.

• Just set my DVR

• I've expressed my dislike of All in the Family before, but I will probably watch this in spite of myself ... eventually. (I know I won't be home that night.) After all, I did say I liked The Jeffersons, and the sheer star power brought to bear on this exercise is compelling. 

• Well, that was delightful. I really enjoyed it.

It did not watch All in the Family from the very beginning, although I had been watching long enough to consider Frank and Irene Lorenzo “new characters” when they were introduced. I watched The Jeffersons from the very first episode, and I eventually caught the early episodes of All in the Family in syndication. I watched All in the Family to the bitter end, right through Archie Bunker’s Place. I didn’t watch Maude from the beginning, either, nor Good Times. (To this day I have never seen an episode of Maude in which Florida Evans is the maid.) Once I started watching them, though, I continued to the respective ends.

Last week, when Tracy was out of town, she caught part of a M*A*S*H marathon on Sundance and discovered there would be an All in the Family one, too. We’ve recorded several of those. I don’t think I’ve seen an episode of any Norman Lear show since Archie Bunker’s Place went off the air in 1983.

• We've watched some of the revived One Day at a Time on Netflix. Lear has a hand in that, and we really enjoyed what we've seen.

So far I've seen the remade All in the Family episode, which I enjoyed, and Jennifer Hudson singing the Jeffersons theme, which is just the explosion of pure joy. Even if you don't watch any of the rest of this, try to catch that; I'm sure it's on YouTube. 

• One thing I was a little disappointed with was how safe they played it -- at least the All in the Family half, and I assume the same is true of The Jeffersons. I would have liked to see those actors play the characters themselves, rather than imitating the performers who made those roles famous. It might not have worked, but it would have been amazing to see them try to find their own truths in those scripts, and see what Harrelson, Tomei, Sykes and Foxx could really bring to the table, without stepping so fully into the shoes of their predecessors.

• That thought occurred to me, too, and before I saw it, I wondered which way they were going to play it. I'm happy with the way it turned out, though. the reconstructin of the sets alone was amazing.

• ...I did not see this when I come bed last night - but no one could have answered my comment in the established liveTV line?
  • There wasn't a question there to answer. 

• ...If could have been said that it had been brought up already (at that time far further below).
This reply was deleted.