I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 9358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...The newspaper here leaves the title)/logo panel on Mutts  and it, visually, takes to-day's  quoting concept further.

Did you read the Sunday funnies yesterday? Many of the cartoonists incorporated six symbols in their cartoons as a fun way to honor crisis workers.

A Mask – for medical workers and caregivers

A Steering Wheel – for people who make deliveries on mail, supplies, etc.

A Shopping Cart – for grocery workers

An Apple – for teachers

A Fork – for restaurants and essential business that have stayed open

A Microscope – for medical researchers

Yes, I did notice that! First, I saw the Mike du Jour strip, which in my local paper runs in the feature section on Sundays, not with the comics. Then when I got to the actual comics, I saw the joke repeated in Barney & Clyde, FoxTrot, Sherman's Lagoon, The Family Circus, AgnesZits, RubesRhymes With Orange, Dustin, FrazzMutts, Liō, even Prince Valiant

Here's the note inviting cartoonists to participate: "NCS Planning Sunday Event to Honor Crisis Workers".

This article includes a list of the 71 participating strips:: "70+ Comic Strips Come Together This Sunday to Tell COVID-19 First Responders 'Thank You'" (Some on the list, like Baldo and Blondie, didn't do anything special. Some, like Speed BumpSally Forth and Pearls Before Swine, got only one symbol in.)

I can't find a place that has all of them, but supposedly they can be found with the hashtag #BigThankYouSearch.

I see that The Argyle Sweater had all six.

La Cucaracha had all six, also.

Off the Mark had all six. Luann seems to have only five. Couldn't find a clearly depicted fork.

"Some on the list, like Baldo and Blondie, didn't do anything special."

To clarify: Baldo and Blondie did participate.

In Blondie, all of the symbols were on Dagwood's computer screen; in Baldo, some were hidden within folds of clothing, some were hangin on the wall (such as images on hot pads).

Tracy and I had a disagreement whether or not Prince Valiant participated. I say it did (with a basket that could be used for shoping).

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Some on the list, like Baldo and Blondie, didn't do anything special."

To clarify: Baldo and Blondie did participate.

In Blondie, all of the symbols were on Dagwood's computer screen; in Baldo, some were hidden within folds of clothing, some were hangin on the wall (such as images on hot pads).

I stand corrected about Blondie and BaldoThe ones in Baldo were so subtle I didn't discern them.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Tracy and I had a disagreement whether or not Prince Valiant participated. I say it did (with a basket that could be used for shoping).

Prince Valiant did! And very cleverly! The steering wheel, mask and apple are all in the first panel, the fork and shopping basket (a shopping cart without wheels) are in the last panel, and the microscope is in the second panel. (If you don't see it, I'll mention where later.)

I found all six in Luann

ClarkKent_DC said:

Some, like Speed BumpSally Forth and Pearls Before Swine, got only one symbol in.)

Looking again, I see that Speed Bump got all six symbols in, with some hidden in the linework. It still doesn't look to me like Sally Forth or Pearls Before Swine managed more than one.

"Prince Valiant did!"

Thanks for pointing those out. I thought it was a case of "some but not all." You're going to have to specify the microscope, though, because I'm still not seeing it.

"You're going to have to specify the microscope, though, because I'm still not seeing it."

Oh, for pity's sake! I was looking at the third panel! (It's in the fire.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion To be... HULK-inued!
"I've always been uncertain what, if anything, Banner remembers from his time as the Hulk. If…"
31 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Tales to Astonish
"#94-96 - "The High Evolutionary" #95's COVER BLURB: The quote comes from Alfred…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion To be... HULK-inued!
"FADE IN... #95-96: When you come to yourself again, you find yourself in a fantastic space ship,…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J posted a discussion

To be... HULK-inued!

Did you ever think about what life must be like for Bruce Banner? Imagine and endless stream of…See More
2 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Peter Wrexham's discussion Celebrity Mastermind - "The History of DC Comics"
"Here are the answers as given on the show, together with a description of how both contestant Colin…"
3 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Today's, courtesy of the Grand Comics Database."
3 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"A well-known cover by Bill Everett Journey Into Mystery #9,  1953"
5 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Whirlwind tries to abduct a comatose Wasp from the hospital!  (One of my…"
7 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Meh, it can't be that difficult.  Even Jimmy Olsen has done it!"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"This is the cover to one of my first comics books. I really wish DC was more diligent about…"
11 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
"...and thanks to everyone who read along as well."
11 hours ago
Eric L. Sofer replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
"Jeff and Richard - great recap of the multiple series. It's a lot of fun to read!"
11 hours ago

© 2023   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service