I didn't entirely get the intended construction of the jokes in the Sunday Bizzaro (Sp??) strip yesterday .   ( The strip appars to be not online , as it is a King Features Syndicate strip , who - Gasp !!! - appear to think they're in the comics business to make money , and keep their strips behind a wall . )

The joke was " variations on ' I Love New York ' "...but was the panhandler's shirt supposed to be saying " I Owe New York " ?"  I Have Zero , New York " ?

The yokel , in Middle Ages garb...Was his shirt suppost'a mean " I Love York " , as in the English county that New York was indeed named after ??? ( And Prince Charles is now considered the Duke of , if I recall correctly . )

Views: 6307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The artilcle was written by Josh Fruhlinger of The Comics Curmudgeon blog, which is built around "The Funnies Aren't Funny Anymore!" But I think Fruhlinger is more about calling out lazy writing, logic lapses and recycling, and less about "It's bad because it isn't just like it was when I was a kid."

As for the premise of the article, I've seen some strips in my daily newspaper make COVID-19 part of their stories and some not. In most if not all cases, I wish they hadn't, for several reasons.

One is because I don't read the comic strips for realism (as somebody around here is wont to say). Judge Parker had just begun a storyline in which the Judge makes a run for mayor, and Sam Driver's adoptive daughters Neddy and Sophie were butting heads as Sophie sabotaged Neddy's career efforts. Now everybody in the strip is stuck in the house, moping.

Part of it is that, in any given strip, having all the characters stuck in the house limits the scope of the strip. Curtis has done it as well as can be expected; he and kid brother Barry are in the house being home-schooled by mom Diane while dad Greg continues to work at the DMV. But this has meant we see only them and don't see any of the other supporting characters any more: Gunther at the barbershop, or any of Curtis's friends at school -- Chutney, the girl who has a crush on him; Michelle, the Veronica to Chutney's Betty;  Heart-throb, the genial would-be ladies' man, or bullies Derrick and Onion. A while back, we learned Curtis's teacher Mrs. Nelson was ill with COVID-19 -- but we haven't seen her or heard any more about it.

Sally Forth has tried to open things up. After several strips of Sally, husband Ted and daughter Hillary going stir crazy, last week Hillary's friends Faye and Nona came by, wearing masks and social distancing.

That's how one strip, which features kids, worked it in. How do others? Frazz and Big Nate are set primarily in elementary schools. Frazz is all about his interactions with the kids, and the strip has made some stabs at acknowledging COVID-19; Big Nate ignores it completely.

And as pointed out in the article, we don't know when this is going to end. Which means the strips will have to keep this going indefinitely, which I don't much like. 

It was interesting to read how the creators made their decisions.

ClarkKent_DC said:

A while back, we learned Curtis's teacher Mrs. Nelson was ill with COVID-19 -- but we haven't seen her or heard any more about it.

Well, guess who showed up in today's strip? 

She looks pretty good for somebody who just dealt with Covid-19.

ClarkKent_DC said:

ClarkKent_DC said:

A while back, we learned Curtis's teacher Mrs. Nelson was ill with COVID-19 -- but we haven't seen her or heard any more about it.

Well, guess who showed up in today's strip? 

Richard Willis said:

She looks pretty good for somebody who just dealt with Covid-19.

Curtis is REALLY glad to see her, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service