Word is that Mr. Silver age will be hosting a Trivia panel at C2E2 this weekend and because of the movie this summer, some of the questions will feature my favorite Marvel super-hero, Ant-Man. By coincidence, I just finished reading DC's Atom archives. Here are some similar covers featuring the two characters.

Some of these are a stretch, but close enough. And good luck at the trivia panel, Craig!

--your pal, Hoy

Views: 5610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

His heroes might have been Jimmy Durante and Cyrano de Bergerac.

That's ... astonishing.

Hoy Murphy said:

Was this a bet to find a way to use a power in a way it had never been used before? What was in the water cooler at comic book companies back then?

Note the end of the lightning bolt doesn't actually touch his nose.

I like that he explains what we're seeing, in case we're blind. Although I guess we might think the bolts were hitting him in the nose (or just short of his nose).

I'm surprised there isn't a caption, saying "Just then, lightning bolts shoot out of his nostrils!"

-- MSA

This is why comics need captions. Because some things are just too goofy for characters to actually say.

The writer was Jerry Siegel. I think he's indulging in parody here. His work was often humorous.

While we're discussing (or do I mean dissing?) Big Cheese, Big Wig and the rest, notice that the cover of that issue gives the story title as Little man, you've had a busy day. I was never much of a fan of the Atom, but I remember thinking that this was a great title when I saw it on the racks.  In fact, I liked the title so much that, most unusually, I actually bought the issue.  I was really disappointed to find that the title inside the issue was Little man, you've had a Big Gang day.  I felt this change was almost more of a let-down than the Big Gang themselves!

Hoy Murphy said:

"Behold --- Lightning-bolts --- crashing out of my nostrils!"

Argh!  I'm sure I've seen that panel somewhere before!  Where's it from?

Lightning Nostril Man is very reminiscent of the sort of character who would make a one-off appearance being rejected for membership of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

"Little man, you've had a busy day," must have come from something. I remember several Warner Brothers cartoons using the phase.

It's a song standard. Google it, and you can find versions by Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Paul Robeson, Eddy Arnold and others.

That's the kind of references DC made--1940s songs, show tunes unknown to its readers, etc. Whereas Stan and Roy made literary references (often Shakespeare) that readers might have at least run into, especially if they were in college.

-- MSA

Like the Ozymandias quote while the kid was kicking Ultron's head around.

My dad had a lot of Eddy Arnold records, never saw that song. All the albums kept using the same songs. They must have put Cattle Call and Turn the World Around the Other Way on half the records of his they released.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 942 Super-Heroines
"Added Jonni Thunder."
14 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 941 Super-Heroines
"Ooh, I forgot all about her!"
21 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"LOL.  I think I missed that episode."
22 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 941 Super-Heroines
"There's Jonni Thunder, star of the four-issue minseries Jonni Thunder a.k.a.…"
26 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"CHILDREN OF THE COMET: This is largely an "Uhura" episode. She is invited to the…"
31 minutes ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Yesterday I showcased Showcase, today I've picked DC's other Silver Age tryout…"
40 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 941 Super-Heroines
"Added: Avalon Beelzebella The Black Cat (Kim Stone) Connie…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 916 Super-Heroines
"More good suggestions.  Ms. Mystic was the only one that was already on the list."
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"Thanks, Luke. I was hoping you would respond. I saw your first post to this thread (now deleted) in…"
2 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Without meaning to sound snarky I guess it boils down to what you mean by “made it.”…"
2 hours ago
"Good suggestion."
2 hours ago
"Good suggestions.  I always thought of Lady Shiva as more of a villain, though."
2 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service