Word is that Mr. Silver age will be hosting a Trivia panel at C2E2 this weekend and because of the movie this summer, some of the questions will feature my favorite Marvel super-hero, Ant-Man. By coincidence, I just finished reading DC's Atom archives. Here are some similar covers featuring the two characters.

Some of these are a stretch, but close enough. And good luck at the trivia panel, Craig!

--your pal, Hoy

Views: 5040

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said:

Perhaps he was a silent partner in the "Big" gang -- Big Nose! Like Big Wig and Big Cheese, he'd weaponize nose-related objects related to his nom du combat. Booby-trapped boogers! Flying phlegm!

Sonic sneezes!

Booby-trapped boogers. Sounds like something the Code would approve or disapprove depending upon who was reviewing the comic.

Since Hoy hasn't answered yet, I can help out a little. Since he said Jerry Siegel wrote that panel, and that's clearly Paul Reinman drawing it, and I recognize the character as a foe of the 1960s Mighty Crusaders (The Wizard, maybe?) I'd say that was a scene from Mighty Crusaders, Fly Man or Mighty Comics, which were published from 1965 to 1967. Don't worry, Siegel wasn't going for drama with Nostril Lightning. The "Mighty Comics" line -- formerly the Archie Adventure Series -- was  meant to be high camp, cashing in on the Batman craze. They were going for "so bad they're good," but didn't make it past the second word.

Peter Wrexham said:

Hoy Murphy said:

"Behold --- Lightning-bolts --- crashing out of my nostrils!"

Argh!  I'm sure I've seen that panel somewhere before!  Where's it from?

Lightning Nostril Man is very reminiscent of the sort of character who would make a one-off appearance being rejected for membership of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

He's Phantasmon from Fly Man #35.

Ah. Should have guessed something that weird could only have come from Archie.
Captain Comics said:

Since Hoy hasn't answered yet, I can help out a little. Since he said Jerry Siegel wrote that panel, and that's clearly Paul Reinman drawing it, and I recognize the character as a foe of the 1960s Mighty Crusaders (The Wizard, maybe?) I'd say that was a scene from Mighty Crusaders, Fly Man or Mighty Comics, which were published from 1965 to 1967. Don't worry, Siegel wasn't going for drama with Nostril Lightning. The "Mighty Comics" line -- formerly the Archie Adventure Series -- was  meant to be high camp, cashing in on the Batman craze. They were going for "so bad they're good," but didn't make it past the second word.

Peter Wrexham said:

Hoy Murphy said:

"Behold --- Lightning-bolts --- crashing out of my nostrils!"

Argh!  I'm sure I've seen that panel somewhere before!  Where's it from?

Lightning Nostril Man is very reminiscent of the sort of character who would make a one-off appearance being rejected for membership of the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I see he made the cover

That's the guy! I knew I recognized that headdress.

Paul Reinman drew virtually the entire "Mighty Comics" line. I think he was able to do so by being absolutely awful.

Didn't he ink Avengers#2?

Anybody else think that looks an awful lot like Iron Man's battle with the evil Black Knight? (Also Dane Whitman's battle with Modred from Marvel Superheroes, although that came later. I used to have the poster.)

Thanks to the Captain and Luke for identifying Phantasmon. For some reason I wasn't able to access this site yesterday, but I'm back today. To celebrate, here's more Ant-Man.

I remember being on the seat of my chair as I worried that Ant-Man couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag. I'm assuming in this scene that, once again, the villain had cunningly made sure AM had to use his super-powers and couldn't just return to being a normal guy, at which point the dreaded paper-bag-filled-with-sand death trap would not be so terrifying.

Little did he know that Ant-Man retained the strength of a normal-sized man. Do not even think of asking how that works.

As I said, there were no doubt many Mopee Awards in Ant-Man's future.

-- MSA

Thanks for answering my question about the source of the lightning nostrils panel.  I feel sure that I've seen it before, but I've never read The Fly, at least not in hard copy.  It doesn't seem likely that there can be any other character with that particular power, so either I'm hallucinating, or I've seen it elsewhere online.  Just one more little mystery...

Here's another: What the heck is an alieog-laboid? I don't have that particular issue of Fly-Man, so I don't know. And perhaps it's best that way.

Considering they work for ol' lightning nostrils, it's definitely best that way!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service