Views: 53187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember it as well. I think it ran in all the Marvel mags that month. It made no sense to me at the time. I was 11 years old and had no clue who the Mothers of Invention were. Did anyone send in the coupon?

The Baron said:

I remember that ad.

Luke Blanchard said:

It's like Essence of the Psychedelic Era, industrial strength.

From Kid Colt Outlaw #139.

If Steve W ever runs out of "Cover a Day" themes, I'd suggest "Artists and their Cliches." I bet we could do a whole month just on Gil Kane's Up-the-Nose Shots.

From Real Screen Comics #128.

So was the driver killed? 

From "The Deep-Sea Diver Mystery!", Batman #83. It's a pre-Code story, from 1954, so it begins with a murder by the gang.

"...Phantom Stranger" (FYI). 23 minutes.

Randy Jackson said:

Why, why did you link to a YouTube video? Even a good YouTube video?

I.... I.... I couldn't help myself. I read the comments.

Oh, JD... you know better than that!

You, sir, have been tainted... 

I like this guy's channel a lot. He's hit a lot of well researched and thoughtful analysis on a variety of comic book topics 

JD DeLuzio said:

Randy Jackson said:

Why, why did you link to a YouTube video? Even a good YouTube video?

I.... I.... I couldn't help myself. I read the comments.

I just watched it. Yes, it is both interesting and well-researched. I'll buy into his conclusions because he has obviously put a lot more thought into it than I have. Having said that, though, someday I would like to host a "Phantom Stranger" discussion here (if no one beats me to it, that is; I'm not calling dibs). Another character with conflicting backstories (or at least conflicting identities) is the Time Trapper, who has been, at times, Cosmic Boy, Superboy Prime and Batgirl (among others). 

I know u reviewed Showcase Presents the Phantom Stranger awhile back, although I'm unsure whether it was this site or the old one. If I can dig that up, I could start a discussion--not a reading project, just a discussion. 

I remember someone discussing the Showcase Presents edition a while ago, but it wasn't me. (I thought it was you.) I wouldn't have just too many issues to discuss in any case... just the 1987 mini-series and that Secret Origins featured in the video. I would use such a discussion mainly as an excuse to read the Phantom Stranger section of last year's DC Universe by Len Wein HC. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service