Views: 55823

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember the day I bought Book 4 of the Dick Tracy Reuben Award Winner Series.

I translated "NEW Larger Panels" as "FEWER Panels Per Page." Today I had to set Lone Wolf & Cub aside because the print is too small for me to read, even with my glasses. I've been using OTC reading glasses for years, but they no longer work because my eyes are too different from each other. Getting old is not for sissies. 

Just got back from the eye doctor. I don't need a new prescription... I need cataract surgery! 

Oh! Good luck!
Maybe you actually have a HEARING problem, and what the doctor REALLY said was that you need a Cadillac, urgently!

I wondered about that when you first mentioned your vision problem. The good news is it's a simpler operation these days. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Just got back from the eye doctor. I don't need a new prescription... I need cataract surgery! 

Best of luck, Jeff.

I've had cataract surgery on both eyes. Pretty straightforward in practice, even though it sounds scary when it's described. No problems until recently, when scar tissue in my left eye has become troublesome enough to need correction. That will be a simple office procedure using laser, scheduled for September.

I've worn glasses since my senior year in college. I've always been far-sighted in one eye, near-sighted in the other, a somewhat unusual condition. My cataracts are somewhat unusual as well, complicated by type two diabetes. Both of my eyes will be done a week apart. We are expecting a call to set up an initial appointment to discuss options. after the surgery, I will likely not need glasses for distance at all, but will probably still need to wear glasses when I read.

I have early cataracts which have not yet "ripened" to the point where surgery is justified. My distance and reading vision are currently good with prescription glasses, and I don't need glasses to drive. When the time comes I will have no problem having the operation.

In elementary school my wife couldn't read the classroom blackboard. She began wearing glasses at that time and continued until cataract surgery.in 2015. One eye was "riper" than the other but was done also because the difference between the two eyes would have been too great. Her out-patient operation was quick and effective, as was the second one. Many patients are surprised that they can see colors better. In her case she didn't see a difference in colors, but now could see the detail of leaves on trees.

Woof! Good luck, Jeff!

All of this eye talk just reminds me how weird the human body is. My current eye doctor told me my eyes are naturally dilated, and that is would have been cruel and unusual punishment if any of my previous eye doctors had dilated my eyes before (they had). Also, apparently, my pupils don't contract normally.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I've worn glasses since my senior year in college. I've always been far-sighted in one eye, near-sighted in the other, a somewhat unusual condition. My cataracts are somewhat unusual as well, complicated by type two diabetes. Both of my eyes will be done a week apart. We are expecting a call to set up an initial appointment to discuss options. after the surgery, I will likely not need glasses for distance at all, but will probably still need to wear glasses when I read.

The optometrists at Kaiser Permanente check for a condition called "narrow angles." I had it. I was referred to the ophthalmologist, who explained it to me. Your body continually replenishes/replaces the vitreous humor that fills the eyeball. The older vitreous humor is pushed out at the edges of the iris, the brown/blue/green/etc part of the eye. When a person has "narrow angles" the danger is that the opening to expel the old material could close up. The resulting pressure in the eye would be catastrophic, as in permanent blindness in that eye with no time to prevent it. The way to guard against this is for the ophthalmologist to laser-drill a tiny hole in the iris. I had this done and it is painless (and invisible).

Anyone visiting an eye doctor should ask about this condition and whether they have been screened for it.

Emails from the History Channel just made me aware of this 16-year-old young woman who outdid Paul Revere's ride in the Revolutionary War, and that she was honored in 1975 with a postage stamp.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service