Views: 55829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We went to our first party of the COVID era last night. (I almost typed "post-COVID" but we're not quite there yet.) I had honestly completely forgotten how much I hate making small talk with strangers. There was a bowl of Gummy Bears on the table. One woman couldn't stop talking about them, but she kept pronouncing it "goomy" bears. Is it just me? Have I been mispronouncing it all these years? Actually, I don't think I've ever said "Gummy Bears" aloud in my entire life. From this post you may think I'm high, but I'm not. 

Sure you're not high.

But I've always said and heard, "gummy bears."

I remember Servo saying "goomy bears" on an episode of MST3K, once.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

We went to our first party of the COVID era last night. (I almost typed "post-COVID" but we're not quite there yet.) I had honestly completely forgotten how much I hate making small talk with strangers. There was a bowl of Gummy Bears on the table. One woman couldn't stop talking about them, but she kept pronouncing it "goomy" bears. Is it just me? Have I been mispronouncing it all these years? Actually, I don't think I've ever said "Gummy Bears" aloud in my entire life. From this post you may think I'm high, but I'm not. 

Apparently, "goomy" is closer to the original German.

The logical antithesis would be a "glummy" bear", for which, fortuitously, either pronunciation works.

Goddess and living legend Dolly Parton gives her husband a birthday gift:

#HotGirlSummer

So I saw a photo at an antique/ collectables shop today of the Three Stooges. The owner acquired it in a collection he bought at auction. He's contacted an expert he knows to determine if the signature on the photo is a genuine autograph of Curly...

....Joe.

If so, I want to know who asked "Curly" Joe DeRita to sign a picture of Curly Howard, and how'd that go over?

Why Robin Williams Quit Marvel’s Howard the Duck

I sure find manga more interesting than most American comics.  If nothing else, there are kinds of stories, situations and characters that I haven't seen dozens of times over the last half century. 

Randy Jackson said:

Having watched the video, the only thing I would say is that I'm not where these American comics that are too "political" that he talks about. Maybe I don't read the right comics, but in my experience, DC and Marvel, at least, shy away from anything too "political" in their comics.

One thing he didn't mention that I like about manga is that stories are much more likely to end than in American comics, and that the characters get to grow and develop (and stay gown and developed). Students graduate from school, lovers get together, heroes win lasting victories, characters generally don't get caught in the treadmill of having to be reinvented every few years.

Randy Jackson said:

I started watching this video. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but I thought it was painfully slow and the narrator's voice didn't help. I agree with The Baron in that our comics don't have enough done-in-one books. If a non-fan magically winds up in a comic book store and spends $4-5 on a single comic and finds it is the middle of a six-issue story, will the non-fan become a fan? I doubt it.

The Baron's other observation about stories progressing and coming to a conclusion is also important. As much as I love many of the DC and Marvel heroes, it must mean something that the outstanding comic series of modern times (Fables, Sandman, Starman, Watchmen, Y: The Last Man, etc) have beginnings, middles and ends.

Randy Jackson said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service