Views: 60607

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We didn't have a "kids' table".  We knew how to behave ourselves.

MY dad would've been, "Texting costs money! Come down here and talk to me!"

There would've been none of this nonsense of demanding pizza and ice cream.  My parents weren't Burger King, special orders DID upset them.

We had a kids table because we had a lot of people gathered. The table was in the same room as the adults and we certainly knew how to behave. 

I had to stay at the kids table well into high school as I had to watch my younger cousins.

Interesting. No kids table for my family as the number of guests generally stayed at 7 or fewer.

However, has there been one, I doubt there would have been any issues. My siblings and I were very used to dining together with the full family, so we knew how little we could get away with. 

I think I was at the kids' table until I got married.

We had our Thanksgiving gathering at my brother's house, and the dining room is not big enough for everyone. This year, I think the youngest person at the kids' table, which was in the kitchen, was 29, but her husband and her 33-year-old brother were there with her.

I remember being at the kids table at my grandmother's house. There wasn't enough room at the big table for everyone, so us small people were at a card table of to the side. In more recent times, when I hosted, again there wasn't enough room, so we had a table in another room. My parents and in-laws chose to site at that "kids" table. They were the loudest of all. 

We used a card table, but we used it for food. I was very "traditional," insisting that certain foods (notably cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie) be on the menu, although I didn't eat them. I loved my grandmother's "cheesecake." I didn't find out until years later, when i had my first real cheesecake, that what she called "cheesecake" wasn't really cheesecake. It was good, though. I have the recipe, though, and when I bring one to group functions I am always asked for the recipe, but I steadfastly refuse to share it. 

Another traditional dish we used to have was stuffing, or, as we called it, "dressing." AFAIAC, inside the bird it's stuffing; outside the bird it's dressing. We always had to have two kinds: one with raisins and one without. Then my brother got married and his wife introduced a third kind, with oysters. (I didn't eat any of them, but would have complained nonetheless had they been missing.) 

One year we had two turkeys: our regular bird plus one my brother-in-law had shot. For many years we had discussed the possibility of making a turkey with White Castle stuffing, but I'm not sure we ever did. I have a memory of having wild turkey with White Castle stuffing, but it may be apocryphal. I distinctly remember biting down on pieces of buckshot, though. 

There wasn't a kids' table, but there was more than one table, in more than one room, at my grandmother's, because the assembly was so large. 

For Thanksgiving this year, my son (the one who provided me with that wonderful birthday card) hosted, so it was him, me, my wife, and his girlfriend, which was a nice and unexpected (to us) surprise).

This marks the first time in I don't know how many years I didn't cook the Thanksgiving meal or any part of it. The only thing I made was gravy (and I was the only one who ate it).

I've roasted turkeys, smoked them, sometimes brined them beforehand, sometimes not. I've made the mistake (more than once) of waiting to late to buy the turkey and spend several hours overnight thawing it out a frozen-rock-solid bird in a tub of water. And once (last year), I really waited too late and cooked it frozen. (Yes, it can be done. It takes longer to cook, and you can't stuff it -- which you shouldn't be doing anyway -- but it can be done.)

I've bitten down on shot in quail and a duck, but I guess I've always had farm-raised turkey.

At least one time, at my brother's house, there were enough people that we had seating in three rooms.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Robot dog?  Robot dog! Also Daleks, and (not pictured) "Robots of Death!""
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Three from Bob Hope"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"MANHUNTER: WRITER: Jack Kirby ARTIST: Jack Kirby PEDIGREE: Golden  Age Simon & Kirby…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Oh, I forgot to mention Mr. Fantastic's new power yesterday. In order to disguise himself, he…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
""After that, the Pierce Brosnan ones, I think (and maybe read the novelizations as…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"MethodEng posted the Spider-Slayer Mark I back on December 2. Here's the Mark II..."
4 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Actually, "daggit" was the name of the twelve colonies' dog species.…"
5 hours ago
Luke Blanchard replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"From Spicy Adventure Stories Oct 1941."
8 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod)'s discussion Stargirl (now on Season 3!)
"Stargirl Creator Geoff Johns Talks Series Finale Twists, Alternate Ending and That Superfun Time…"
8 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"This 2017 documentary is dedicated to telling the George Lazenby story. It's pretty good.…"
13 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I'll make a point of watching OHMSS shortly."
14 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"I will let you know, but right now I'm in the mood to watch OHMSS. After that, the Pierce…"
14 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service