Views: 47029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Until you mentioned it, I never realized the black part of his costume was the stylized silhouette of an ant. Now it's obvious. I never read anything about this before.

Luke Blanchard said:

Slow to get the point dept.: Am I alone is having always interpreted the design on Ant-Man's original costume as an abstract design? I was just reading an article here which notes Kirby changed the design and explains the designs are the stylised silhouette of the foreparts of an ant seen from above.

Holey Moley! I never noticed or heard it before. Now that I see it, I think it's great.

Obviously, whoever designed the movie costume had never heard it.

For years I've been trying to identify two children's TV shows I remember from the 1970s. I've just cracked what they both were.

The first was a British children's fantasy show with cheap sets. I found this one via a list in a message board thread. It was "Oliver in the Overworld", which was part of a show called Little Big Time and starred the former pop singer Freddie Garrity. There are clips from the show here. The show I remember looked just like this, and I remember the theme song.

I thought the other one was about a group of kids combatting a scheme to interfere with the Olympics. But it wasn't the Olympics: it was the Commonwealth Games! When I guessed that I found it right away. They were held in New Zealand in 1974, and it was a New Zealand serial from 1975 called The Games Affair.

As of last week, the Timeless series wrap-up movie is back on:

http://collider.com/timeless-movie-details

Luke Blanchard said:

Slow to get the point dept.: Am I alone is having always interpreted the design on Ant-Man's original costume as an abstract design? I was just reading an article here which notes Kirby changed the design and explains the designs are the stylised silhouette of the foreparts of an ant seen from above.

Richard Willis said:

Until you mentioned it, I never realized the black part of his costume was the stylized silhouette of an ant. Now it's obvious. I never read anything about this before.

Ahem!  From my Deck Log Entry # 34 (http://captaincomics.ning.com/profiles/blogs/from-the-archives-deck...):

The Ant-Man’s costume consisted of a silver helmet with antennae and a red-and-blue costume with black designs on the front in an abstraction of an ant’s segmented body. 

I know I read Deck Log #34 but I either missed or forgot that sentence.

Same here. Sorry, Commander.

It's O.K., fellows.  It's not like I'm Andy Rooney.  

(And the first guy to say "Who's Andy Rooney?" is going to get such a smack!)

I'm trying again to identify a sci-fi movie I likely saw in 1975-1976. I found a listing in a 1976 newspaper as follows:

Movie: AO: 'Horror From Beyond' A perfectly preserved skeleton of a man 100 years old is found and baffles scientists. It continues to grow, turns into a monstrous shape and kills on its path to a laboratory where various kinds of radio activity is used.

That's not my movie, but I couldn't find it at the IMDB and I'd like to know what it was. I assume Horror from Beyond is an alternative title. Do any of you gents recognise the plot? I've found a Filipino movie which has the alternative title The Horror from Beyond but it has a different story.

The Creeping Flesh?

Thanks for the guess. I don't think so as the newspaper listed that movie under its own title a few months earlier:

Movie: 'The Creeping Flesh' AO. Two scientist brothers work together in an attempt to create a living human being.

I was reminded of Horror Express, but it takes place on a train.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service