Views: 55801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Video I assembled from three video concepts, posted as  a companion piece to a recent blog post. A link at the video will take you there, and reveal something about the mysteries of the Banana Kingdom. The camera cuts before the deer defecates. The tundra swans do rest nearby on their way back north--but not in the Banana Kingdom. That's me in the Plague Doctor outfit.

Long live the Banana Kingdom!

The Mess We Miss    video

Richard Willis said:

The not-so-handsome, not so-charming Timothy Dalton was cast instead. Although his appearance and portrayal were closer to the character than Roger Moore's, the public didn't like him as much. 

Sorry to comment on this so late. I saw the post a week or so ago, but I've been too busy to respond to it until now.

I liked Timothy Dalton as James Bond.  Until he essayed the rôle, the only actor I would tolerate as Bond was Sean Connery (who will always be the James Bond).  Dalton was the first Bond actor whose movie I willingly went to see.  He's not Connery, but he captures that sophisticated, but hard-edged Bond that was the character as Ian Fleming wrote him.  But, at the time, I was surprised to find that most of my friends and acquaintances didn't like Dalton's portrayal.

The folks who didn't like Dalton's Bond said he was too cold and not funny enough.  That's when I figured it out.  Those that didn't like Dalton as Bond had only seen the twelve years' worth of Roger Moore James Bond films.  Where Sean Connery's Bond had a hard edge and a no-nonsense attitude, with only an occasional sardonic rejoinder, Moore's Bond was lighter, more tongue-in-cheek, almost to the point of parody.  That was the Bond who the folks not old enough to remember a Bond before Roger Moore were accustomed to, and they found Dalton's Bond not light enough.

Now, fellows like me, who'd been around at the beginning, when Connery was Bond, his Bond was the one we'd grown up with and we were glad to see him portrayed like that, again.

As a side comment, I've recently viewed the entire run of The Saint on one of the cable channels.  Roger Moore was superb as Simon Templar, glib and casual, but could demonstrate a hard side of his own, when the occasion called for it.  I've never accepted any other actor in the part of the Saint.

But he was a lousy Bond.

I later posted this comment to clarify how I felt about Dalton's Bond. 

I think Roger Moore was directed to play Bond a certain way. IMO, Live and Let Die was generally good. It's the only post-Connery film that I bought on DVD. Most of the movie is serious. At the end, I said "uh oh" when Kananga (Yaphet Kotto) has his head inflated like a balloon, rises in the air and explodes. This was the beginning of a slippery slope into "camp" level silliness. 

Richard Willis said:

I didn't have a problem with Timothy Dalton. He was a more believable secret agent than Roger Moore.

He is doing good work on Doom Patrol. 

Richard Willis said:

I think Roger Moore was directed to play Bond a certain way.

Aye, I'm willing to lay the blame for the ridiculously tongue-in-cheek Bond on how Mr. Moore was directed to play the character.  After all, as I noted in all those Saint episodes I viewed, Moore could act, and with subtlety, when called upon to do so.

I never cared for Moore as Bond however he shouldn't be blamed for the increasingly silly tongue-in-cheek approach - see Diamonds Are Forever. The producers were already sending our man Bond down that road with Connery's final outing. On Her Majesty's Secret Service was the last attempt at a more serious 007 until Dalton came on board. OHMSS might have done better at the box office had Connery starred. Had that happened, would the producers have avoided the more comedic approach taken?

doc photo said:

I never cared for Moore as Bond however he shouldn't be blamed for the increasingly silly tongue-in-cheek approach - see Diamonds Are Forever. 

Excellent point!  You can definitely see the shift toward a more comedic approach in Diamonds Are Forever.  The pity is, while I would have never accepted anyone else but Connery as Bond, Roger Moore would have done a better job of portraying Bond if he had basically played him (and had been allowed to) as he did Simon Templar.

After the campiness of Moonraker (1979), which was a box-office hit lest we forget, the series took a more somber tone with For Your Eyes Only (1981), giving Moore the chance to portray Bond far more seriously to mixed reviews even now.

While I never saw The Saint, I did see Roger Moore in The Persauders in syndication and I liked that a lot even though Tony Curtis was obviously too old for an action role!

Anyone who wants to see some episodes of Roger Moore's The Saint TV show can access the free streaming service (expect commercials) at Shout Factory TV:

https://www.shoutfactorytv.com/series/the-saint

(Either on your computer or on Roku)

Richard Willis said:

Anyone who wants to see some episodes of Roger Moore's The Saint TV show can access the free streaming service (expect commercials) at Shout Factory TV:

The season 2, episode 19, "Luella", has a cute---and prescient---bit of business in the closing scene.  It's also the kind of meta-textual thing that I get a kick out of (if it's not done too often).

If you want to see the scene without sitting through the entire episode, all you have to know is the prologue to every episode of The Saint ended with someone indicating and saying something like "Aren't you Simon Templar?", at which point, a halo would appear over Templar's head.  Know this and watch the YouTube video of "Luella"'s epilogue:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCpnXVU6JgI and you'll get the gag.

It is so perfect that David Hedison is also in that scene. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

It is so perfect that David Hedison is also in that scene. 

It's great!

For those that aren't sure what Jeff means, Hedison played one of the many incarnations of Felix Leiter in .....wait for it.....Live and Let Die.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service