Views: 53387

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can't make this stuff up:

Live action grown-up Powerpuff Girls

I smell a CW crossover event!

I hope sales are going well with your book.  I enjoyed it very much.  I’m a slow reader to begin with and most of my reading is non-fiction related to my field which slows me down even more, so when I finally get to read fiction I read it quickly and not for retention.  After a few chapters I realized I had to slow down once I understood how the story was constructed.  Definitely worth the time.  

I enjoyed the main story.  All the characters were likable, although we find out later that wasn’t necessarily the case.  There was a fantastic element involved, or not.  I’ve been to a few cons over the years, but alas, nothing like that ever happened to me.  A fun story with “relatable” characters.

The two short stories fleshed out elements from the main story.  Including them in main story would have just slowed it down.  These stories did have “bad guys” in them.  Patti is a wonderful character and really shines in “Troll Bridge.”

Thank you again, and good luck with your writing.

JD DeLuzio said:

My novel, The Con gets released this coming Friday, November 13, 2020. The e-launch party will be streamed at 6:00 pm EST on Saturday, November 14. Anyone can watch by clicking the link. If you create/have an account and log-in, you can participate. Snacks and beverages will be exactly what you want, since it's a virtual event, and you'll have to provide them.

Has your favorite fan convention been canned due to COVID? Consider The Con: SF Fans meet the Jane Austen Society at a hotel that may also be hosting an actual alien presence. High tea, a robot battle, nerds gone wild, Anglican LARPERS, the Augur of Quaoar, and the quest to answer one of history's great questions: does anything we do matter-- or is it all just a con?

The novel is available from a range of places (book or kindle). If you Google my name + "The Con", you'll find it.

Thanks for your hypothetical support.

Thank you for the response! I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I'm also gratified to learn that someone is actually reading the two accompanying stories. I've received a number of positive reviews, but they rarely mention the stories.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback and support.

Incidentally, I have a reading at virtual Penguicon in April, most likely stuff from my forthcoming (January 2022) short story collection.  The story "Live Nude Aliens," newly-penned to conclude the collection, features Patti and Chelsea at Free Comic Book Day, where they encounter a drunk man who claims he has had a (ludicrous but terrifying) Twilight Zone-like encounter with extraterrestrials.

Dave Palmer said:

I hope sales are going well with your book.  I enjoyed it very much.  I’m a slow reader to begin with and most of my reading is non-fiction related to my field which slows me down even more, so when I finally get to read fiction I read it quickly and not for retention.  After a few chapters I realized I had to slow down once I understood how the story was constructed.  Definitely worth the time.  

I enjoyed the main story.  All the characters were likable, although we find out later that wasn’t necessarily the case.  There was a fantastic element involved, or not.  I’ve been to a few cons over the years, but alas, nothing like that ever happened to me.  A fun story with “relatable” characters.

The two short stories fleshed out elements from the main story.  Including them in main story would have just slowed it down.  These stories did have “bad guys” in them.  Patti is a wonderful character and really shines in “Troll Bridge.”

A poem for our times...

SONNET 66

Tir'd with all these, for restful death I cry,
As, to behold desert a beggar born,
And needy nothing trimm'd in jollity,
And purest faith unhappily forsworn,
And gilded honour shamefully misplac'd,
And maiden virtue rudely strumpeted,
And right perfection wrongfully disgrac'd,
And strength by limping sway disabled,
And art made tongue-tied by authority,
And folly, doctor-like, controlling skill,
And simple truth miscall'd simplicity,
And captive good attending captain ill.
Tir'd with all these, from these would I be gone,
Save that, to die, I leave my love alone.

-Wm. Shakespeare

Incidentally, the journey of the main character in the supplementary story "Do You See What I See?" can be mapped, sort of. Some things are invented-- the town the women are from, the bar where he meets the Americans-- and we don't know exactly where the house he spends the night is located, but I used enough real-world references that I could make a general Googlemap while I was writing.

Dave Palmer said:

I just received The Con from Amazon. As slow a reader as I have always been, I will make a point of reading it very soon.

This week’s issue of the Beano also includes a Menace family tree poster, which confirms that Dennis’s dad is the 1980s-era Dennis grownup, while his grandad is the original 1951 Dennis. Dennis’s surname, the Beano confirms, is Menace.

This reminded me of a similar thing last October in the Mark Trail newspaper strip. Creators trying to justify many decades of the same character by making them descendants.

I appreciate my readership, and will endeavor to answer questions you might have.

Richard Willis said:

I just received The Con from Amazon. As slow a reader as I have always been, I will make a point of reading it very soon.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service