Views: 55436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw this in my favorite used book store yesterday, and thought "How can I NOT by this?"

If you like that, you may like this...

YOWZA!!!

"YOWZA!!!" indeed. I happen to number Anti-Hitler Comics #1 among my personal collection. It includes "Futuro Kidnaps Hitler and Takes Him to Hades!" (from Great Comics #3) and "Unknown Soldier" (from Four Favorites #12) in which Hitler becomes Satan. A second issue was solicited but never published. 

If you're interested in or missing nerdy conventions and would like to "attend" an online version, search up Penguicon 2021. It runs this weekend (technically starting Thursday, though not much is happening until Friday night). Access to all events is $10. Penguicon famously combines the SF/Fantasy Con elements with Tech/Open Source/Hacker elements.

I've attached events in which I'm involved. For those not interested in my panels, here's a random comic panel:

Friday April 23:

7:00 pm

Sub/Urban Folklore and Online Mythology

I've given variations of this one many times before, as a solo presenter or part of a duo. Audience involvement, slides, and video play key roles. It's a skeptically-leaning discussion that examines the role of contemporary folklore in life, literature, and media. Depending on audience inclinations, we might cover anything from misrepresented news stories (see: Kitty Genovese, James Dallas Egbert III, or the Columbine Shootings) to Bigfoot and Michigan Dogman and Slender Man to online conspiracy theists. In recent years and months, that last topic and the pervasive influence of folklore have displayed their more sinister aspects

Saturday April 24:

11:00 am:

Building Better Aliens

Kathryn Sullivan runs this one. I've created an extra-terrestrial or two, and I'm sure we can have an interesting discussion. One of my co-panelists is Stephen B. Pearl, with whom I share a publisher.

12:00 pm:

Reading (I share the slot). I'll probably be reading from my forthcoming short story (January 2022), "Live Nude Aliens."

4:00 pm:

To Boldly Seek Discovery in the Expanse: The Voyage Continues

I've run this one at a Toronto con and at last year's ad hoc online Penguicon. I'll be joined again by aerospace engineer/author Eric Choi and GoH Larry Nemecek, and by author/polymath Derwin Mak, who attended last year but was not a panelist. This panel will discuss the various space-related series that (more or less) carry the legacy of the original Star Trek, and what each of us might include if we were running such a series.

Sunday April 25:

2pm

Fandom as an Opera

Three panelists will examine the depiction of fandom in books and other media. Novels such as Among Others and Bimbos of the Death Sun, (and my own The Con, for example), have attracted readers inside and outside of fandom. We've seen the savaging-from-within of the subculture's worst aspects in The Eltingville Club and Comic Book Villains. Free Enterprise gave us a fannish comedy flick ("Love Long and Party!") while One Con Glory, a nerd romance novel. We've also had documentary efforts, such as Trekkies, and memoirs, including Trina Robbins's Last Girl Standing.

Was the popularity of The Big Bang Theory a positive or negative thing? Does media and literary exposure create understanding for fandom or turn it into a public spectacle?

Thanks for the heads up, JD. I have joined and will be following all of the events you mention, plus the Babylon 5/Deep Space 9 discussion. 

I look forward to e-seeing you! There are a lot of great events, even if an online con can never match the effect of being there. It will have to do for now.

Richard Willis said:

Thanks for the heads up, JD. I have joined and will be following all of the events you mention, plus the Babylon 5/Deep Space 9 discussion. 

From The Adventures of Alan Ladd #9 (DC, 1950).

Movie star comics were common in the period, especially comics featuring Western stars. DC's other movie star comics were Jimmy Wakely and Dale Evans Comics.

DC also published radio/TV show comics in the period: Big Town, Gang Busters, Mr. District Attorney, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, and A Date with Judy.

Luke Blanchard said:

From The Adventures of Alan Ladd #9 (DC, 1950).

Movie star comics were common in the period, especially comics featuring Western stars. DC's other movie star comics were Jimmy Wakely and Dale Evans Comics.

Yes--

Watch for free on Shout Factory TV. Channel is on Roku.:

Woman in Motion: Nichelle Nichols, Star Trek and the Remaking of NASA

Thanks, JD. I've never seen that.

Of the comics alluded to there, The Adventures of Alan Ladd lasted 9 issues, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet 5, Dale Evans Comics 24, and Jimmy Wakely 18. The Adventures of Bob Hope, which I quite forgot, ran a whopping 109.

Of the others I mentioned, Big Town ran 50, Gang Busters 67, Mr. District Attorney 67, and A Date with Judy 79.

Other titles I missed include Feature Films (4), The Adventures of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis (40), it's continuation The Adventures of Jerry Lewis (a further 84), Sgt. Bilko (18), Sgt. Bilko's Pvt. Doberman (11), and Pat Boone (5).

When Fawcett ceased publishing DC took over Hopalong Cassidy, with #86, and published it for 50 issues. The stories bore a "starring William Boyd" logo. In the later 1950s DC published The New Adventures of Charlie Chan for 6 issues. Both Cassidy and Chan originated in prose fiction, but were widely known in the period as film series characters.

The 1960s added The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (26), and Bomba the Jungle Boy (7). Bomba was originally a Stratemeyer syndicate character, but he became the star of a B-movie series, and in the 1960s this was repackaged for TV. So the opening covers spruiked him as "TV's teen jungle star!"

Dale Evans had already married Roy Rogers when her DC title started. Roy's comics were published by Dell. Dale's DC series was followed by a Dell one.

From #95 Bob Hope heavily featured the teenage son of a supposed old buddy of Hope's. Normally he was ultra-square Tadwaller Jutefruce, but when angry he transformed into the superpowered Super-Hip. In that period the title was written by Arnold Drake, so Super-Hip made a cameo appearance at Elasti-Girl's wedding in Doom Patrol #104.

Neal Adams drew late issues of The Adventures of Bob Hope and The Adventures of Jerry Lewis. Bob Hope finally ended in 1967 (1968 by cover-date), Jerry Lewis in 1971.

In the late 1960s DC got back into teen humour. Windy and Willy appeared in Showcase #81 and their own series for 4 issues. Their stories were altered Dobie Gillis reprints. DC Indexes tells me the series followed hard on the heels of the Showcase issue, so I take it that was a launch rather than a try-out. Date with Debbi had new stories drawn in the Archie style, but its title was evidently recycled from A Date with Judy.

The "Monty West- Sheriff" stories in the final issues of Tomahawk were altered "Hopalong Cassidy" reprints.

From Marvel Super Special #35, featuring Marvel's adaptation of Conan the Destroyer. The caption makes me wish I could see the scene set to 80s dance music.

In the period it was normal for Marvel's film adaptations to appear both as an issue of Marvel Super Special and a two-issue miniseries.

The film was based on a treatment by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway. They later turned this into the graphic novel Conan the Barbarian: The Horn of Azoth.

The plot was partly based on the story Thomas wrote for Conan the Barbarian #115, in which a wizard tempts Conan with the prospect of restoring Belit to life.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service