It was Monday night, and since I know how to party, I was reading Titans #47 from 2009. This issue features Tempest, and he is going on and on about how he was shunned, hated, and also cast ouy by the other Atlanteans because he has purple eyes. Purple eyes bode bad things apparently. I was thinking,"Huh? When the heck did this happen?"

I'm not the biggest Tempest fan, the last comic I may have read starring him was his miniseries from the 90s. I'm not sure if I did actually read it, and if I did it left zero impression on me.

So, does anyone know where this whole purple eyes = disaster at sea came from?

Views: 300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow! Thanks for all of the Aqualad information, y'all. I really appreciate it.

Philip, way to take one for the team a re-read the Tempest miniseries. Is this the series where he gets his new name and powers?

"Whoa, slow down you animal!"

Apparently Aqualad got killed in the mid-90s Aquaman series (no memory of that!) and he "got better" in Showcase '96 #1 (Ja'96), being trained in his new powers by Atlan. It's included in the trade where it's called the last Aqualad story and leads into Tempest #1 (N'96). They dropped the term "Tempest" at the end. 

The trade also includes Teen Titans Spotlight #10 and #18 from 1987-88.

Which leads me to this point: Garth is still grieving Aquagirl in 1996. Her death in the Crisis was still a fact. So he's been mourning her for over a decade! Now I know "comic book time" is not the same as "real time" but, to put it in perspective, Peter Parker was dating Mary Jane a "year" after Gwen Stacy's death!

Yes, early in Peter David's Aquaman run we saw what was widely assumed to be Garth's skeleton and then he vanished for a few issues, reappearing in the Tempest miniseries (where IIRC he spent a few years in the distant past being mentored by Aquaman's biological father) before returning to the Aquaman monthy.

I don't remember how they explained the skeleton.

Philip Portelli said:

Apparently Aqualad got killed in the mid-90s Aquaman series (no memory of that!) and he "got better" in Showcase '96 #1 (Ja'96), being trained in his new powers by Atlan. It's included in the trade where it's called the last Aqualad story and leads into Tempest #1 (N'96). They dropped the term "Tempest" at the end. 

The trade also includes Teen Titans Spotlight #10 and #18 from 1987-88.

Which leads me to this point: Garth is still grieving Aquagirl in 1996. Her death in the Crisis was still a fact. So he's been mourning her for over a decade! Now I know "comic book time" is not the same as "real time" but, to put it in perspective, Peter Parker was dating Mary Jane a "year" after Gwen Stacy's death!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service