I apologize if there's an existing Arrow thread, but I went back 10 pages and didn't see one.

Anyhow, Arrow Season 3 debuted Oct. 7. If you haven't been following it, it's not the story of Green Arrow ... yet. Arrow is taking the Smallville route of showing how the hero emerges rather than beginning with one.

To wit, Green Arrow isn't called that yet. He's been called The Vigilante, The Hood, The Archer and probably some other things. Now he's being called Arrow. It's only one more step to "Green Arrow."

He started out as a killer. He's learned to restrain himself.

The police originally wanted to arrest him. After two seasons, he's been more or less deputized -- by the guy who used to be his harshest critic, but now loves him. And that critic is moving up the ladder in the police force. Could he become Arrow's Commissioner Gordon?

He's located in Starling City, but it's pretty obvious that the city's name is soon going to be changed to ... aw, you guessed.

Black Canary isn't Dinah Lance ... yet. Black Canary has been Dinah's sister Sara for about a year, with an origin out of Batman (Ra's al Ghul and the League of Assassins). But she got killed very persuasively in the season premiere, so ... will her sister take up the mantle? (Magic 8-Ball says "yes.")

Lots of DC characters on this show, slightly askew from their DC origins. Amanda Waller is here. The aforementioned Ra's al Ghul. One of Ra's daughters is here -- not Talia, but another one that showed up in the comics briefly. Huntress has appeared a couple of times. "Diggle" is a character that was invented for the show, but now he's appeared in Green Arrow comics proper. Deathstroke is here, having gotten superhuman powers from "Mirakuru" which I think is a nod to Hourman's Miraclo. Yes, we've got Roy Harper, but he is never called Speedy and jumps straight to being called Arsenal. Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) has arrived as a character named Ray Palmer ... and my guess is he'll audition for a very small show soon. And so on. Half the fun of the show is the Easter eggs!

Steve Arnell is very convincing as Arrow, moving quickly enough and acrobatically enough that I can believe (just barely) that he hasn't been shot yet.

I'm sorry to see Sara go, because I'm not very impressed with the actress who plays Dinah, who seems to have graduated from the Blake Lively School of Stand There and Look Pretty and Vapid.

I have more to say, but I want to hear from you folks!

Views: 957

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

According to some information that came out of the television critics press tour this past week, there are preliminary negotiations underway to launch an Atom spinoff series.

Although I'd love to see a live-action Atom show (assuming they can pull off the necessary special effects) I do worry that the producers and writers may be stretching themselves a bit too thin.  Between Arrow, The Flash, the upcoming Vixen animated series, the upcoming Supergirl series (which may be set in the "Arrowverse") plus the possible Atom program, I'm not sure if they'll be able to maintain the current level of quality.

Richard Willis said:

Bad news and good news:
According to my cable company's episode guide, the next episode of Arrow will indeed have Laurel become Black Canary. The good news is there will be some Atom action from Ray Palmer.

I'm on the last episode of season 2. Man, season 2 started off good but really went into high gear about halfway through. When Ollie encounters Slade for the first time since the Island I think I uttered a four letter word. Even though I knew it was coming. Great scene.

You will like Season 3. Yes, you will.

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

I'm on the last episode of season 2. Man, season 2 started off good but really went into high gear about halfway through. When Ollie encounters Slade for the first time since the Island I think I uttered a four letter word. Even though I knew it was coming. Great scene.

Finished season 2. Loved it. Tried to move on to season 3 or start the flash. Unfortunately since the series isn't complete yet it's not on Netflix. Checked Hulu and ondemand they only have the more recent episodes. So guess I'll be waiting a while.

We haven't discussed Arrow much lately in this thread, although discussion has popped up in other threads.  Here's a bit of catch-up, with my thoughts.

- Laurel has indeed become the new Black Canary.  I was one of those dreading it, but I also knew it was inevitable.  She was reckless after Sara died, ending up in the hospital after picking a fight with the abusive boyfriend of a fellow AA member.  After Ollie refused to train her further, she went to boxer Ted Grant and trained with him at his gym.  Grant is a retired vigilante himself.  When Oliver was missing and believed dead, Laurel became the new Canary but seems to need constant rescue from other Team Arrow members.  Despite this, she and Felicity have become good friends.  She seems to be a liability more than an asset, although she overcame her fears and self doubts of not being good enough to replace Sara.  She also finally told her father about Sara's death, ending one of the dumbest subplots in the show.

- "Who killed Sara?" took a lot of mostly convoluted twists.  At first, everyone thought it was Simon Lacroix, but it turned out he was not in Starling the night Sara was killed.  Then Roy thought he did it under the influence of the Mirakiru drug, but Oliver used hypnosis to determine that wasn't the case.  Oliver suggested to Nyssa Al Ghul - Sara's lover - that her father Ra's had Sara killed, but Nyssa dismissed the idea.  It turned out to be a mind-controlled Thea, orchestrated by Malcolm Merlyn.  Merlyn is a former member of the League of Assassins and leaving was seen as a betrayal.  Merlyn's plan of having Thea kill Sara made her a target of the League, forcing Oliver to confront Ra's Al Ghul in a death duel to save Thea's life.  If Oliver kills Ra's, Malcolm and Thea would be safe, as the blood debt would be erased.  But Oliver was no match for Ra's, who impaled him and kicked him down a mountainside for good measure.

- Oliver was not dead of course.  His old friend Maseo Yamashiru, now a member of the League, found Oliver's near dead body and took him to his former wife Tatsu (Katana in the comics).  She saved his life with various herbs.  She told him to defeat Ra's he will need training in swordfighting.  We see Maseo and Tatsu in flashbacks this season, as Maseo and Oliver are unwillingly working for Amanda Waller.  The Yamashirus have a young son and thus far we don't know his fate.

- While Oliver was missing and thought dead, the rest of Team Arrow tried to carry on his mission.  Losing Oliver was hardest on Felicity.  She grew closer to Ray Palmer, and is helping him with his A.T.O.M. suit.  While Oliver was gone, a criminal named Danny Brickwell temporarily took over the Glades.  Team Arrow was outmatched by Brickwell's small army, but got the residents of the Glades to join the fight and Brickwell was defeated.  It was all but over when Oliver returned.  Brickwell was the one who had killed Merlyn's wife twenty years ago, putting the once respectable businessman on the path to joining the League.  Oliver convinced Merlyn not to kill Brickwell, for Thea's sake.

- In the most recent episode, Oliver told Thea everything - that he is the Arrow, and that Ra's Al Ghul wants them all dead.  Thea has turned on Merlyn - I don't remember why, until recently she defended him - but was surprisingly okay with Oliver coming clean and has agreed to training with Merlyn to prepare for facing the League.

- I'm glad to see Quentin learning the truth about Sara.  That was selfish of Laurel to the point of cruelty.  Her excuse that his health couldn't handle was bizarre.  Likewise, I'm glad we had zero drama from Thea about Oliver revealing his secrets and I'm hoping she continues to exhibit more maturity going forward.

- It's taking forever for Ray Palmer to become the Atom.

- The flashbacks are becoming harder to believe.  Not only was Oliver not on the island for five years, he is about to go into Starling City.  As Clark_DC would say, that's the 11th impossible thing i just can't swallow.

- Ted Grant is in his late twenties or early thirties here. Like Roy Harper and Laurel Lance, he is mind numbingly boring and forgettable.  In a one-on-one fight, Brickwell took him apart in seconds.  It was embarrassing.  Hopefully, we won't see him again.

- Merlyn's plan to save himself was too convoluted. and he should have known Oliver would be no match for Ra's; but even if Oliver had killed Ra's, I don't see why the League, or Nyssa at least, would not have still gone after Merlyn and Thea.

- Despite my carping, I still enjoy the show.  Oliver, Diggle, Felicity, and Quentin Lance are still compelling, and I want to see where Ray Palmer's story goes.  

John Dunbar (the mod of maple) said:

Laurel became the new Canary but seems to need constant rescue from other Team Arrow members.

Ted Grant is in his late twenties or early thirties here. Like Roy Harper and Laurel Lance, he is mind numbingly boring and forgettable. In a one-on-one fight, Brickwell took him apart in seconds.

It's not surprising that Laurel kept getting her butt kicked. She was trained by Grant. IIRC he trained her as a boxer only, and for a really short time. Sara was trained by the League. Not exactly the same thing. Laurel is extremely lucky not to have been killed the first time she put on her costume.

I found it unintentionally hilarious that the guy that trained her got his hat handed to him in seconds.  He was a champion boxer and a former vigilante himself.  Meanwhile, she's knocking thugs down left and right.  I'm sure she's teflon though; after Sara died, I doubt anything bad will happen to Laurel.  No way they are going to kill off another female heroine on the show.

My wife and I are still enjoying the show, although it did suffer when Oliver was gone, because -- as you say -- there are some really wooden and forgettable actors on the show. My wife have decided the Felicity is the best actress, and Oliver the best actor, so we're good when they're on screen.

One thing John's excellent summary didn't mention is Amanda Waller who is, to me, an out-and-out villain on the show.

Yeah, Waller is awful.  I get the feeling they are setting her up to be the big bad of season 4, or she's just going to be the kind of evil Oliver can't fight.  As I said, we don't know the fate of Maseo and Tatsu's son, and I do not have a good feeling about that.  The flashback sequences can be good but they're overused imo; due to that and the expanding cast.interesting characters (to me) like Diggle and Quentin get less screen time.

At this point I think they should wrap up the flashbacks. I find myself mildly annoyed every time they do one. As for Waller, she reminds me of all the things that have been done wrong in real life in the last thirteen-plus years.

Did anybody notice that Quentin called Laurel's alter ego BLACK Canary? That name hasn't been used before that I recall, it was just "Canary." Could it have been a mistake?

I did notice that. I can't remember anyone else saying this before, unless it was in the League of Assassins name for Sara. I assumed it translated as just "Canary." At this point I wish all the characters pronounced Ra's al Ghul the same way, which I believe is "Raish." And as I said before I'm really OVER the flashbacks. 

Captain Comics said:

Did anybody notice that Quentin called Laurel's alter ego BLACK Canary? That name hasn't been used before that I recall, it was just "Canary." Could it have been a mistake?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 4 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service